1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Espo, Bucyk and McKenzie would've drank them under the table

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by terrier, Jun 23, 2011.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Nice tip for the servers!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love stories like this and they have nothing to apologize for.

I once got the restaurant bill from the place when the offensive linemen for the team I covered ate every Thursday night during the season.

The owner of the restaurant, who gave me a copy of the bill, said his business went up incredibly as a result of, not necessarily the mention in the paper, but knowing where the players would be on any Thursday night.

So the Bruins paid $15 each for Jager Bombs? That seems a bit high. :D

4. Mizzougrad96

The story made it sound like that was built in to the bill.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Still not bad for one night's work. :D

6. Mizzougrad96

I was at a restaurant/club over a decade ago and the quarterback from the local team was there with his entourage and several members of the NHL team were there.

The restaurant comped the quarterback's meal, but he stiffed the waitress and didn't leave a tip on a $2500 tab. The NHL players found out about this and threw several hundred into a hat for the waitress. Not necessary, but a class move.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Let's hope Albert Haynesworth is never a member of a Super Bowl-winning team.

8. When did you cover the Steelers?

9. Mizzougrad96

This was before Roethlisberger's time. :D

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

They're a lot cheaper than Jaromir Jager Bombs, though. You can only get those from internet gambling websites, and they're so expensive, the IRS immediately files a lien, assuming you'll never pay your bill.

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

12. Mizzougrad96

I once asked our hockey writer why NHL players were so much easier to deal with than people in other sports.

He said, "They're not American."

Draft saved Draft deleted