1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPNU "Summer House"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Aug 22, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Admittedly it ain't "The Real World" but how do these players get to keep their NCAA eligibility or scholarships after appearing on a show like this? Whether or not money changes hands, aren't they receiving an extra benefit related to their athletic skill?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Their schools are not advertised on the show, I believe. I watched something like 15 minutes of the show after the Mets game and heard them introduce themselves and their hometowns. They're all incoming freshman, who didn't practice with their teams yet.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've read some of the articles ESPN has written about it and they do identify the schools these guys are going to. I also saw a Knight Commission article saying that even if the students have to return all of the UnderArmor gear they have to wear on the show, some people are making money off of their participation in the program and they are being used to promote a product.
    My point is that Jeremy Bloom couldn't accept endorsements for his skiing and keep his football eligibility and football players are signed to a show because they are good football players and they do keep their eligibility. I don't think a player can even appear in a calendar unless its approved by the NCAA. How is this okay?

Draft saved Draft deleted