1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPNU gay comment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jan 3, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Would you say the same thing if he'd used the "n-word"? If he'd slurred Latinos?

We do not live in a society of live and let live. It's still too acceptable to slam the gay community in far too much of the country. The words "that's so gay" were bad enough, but he went into the whole "soft, caressing" bullshit that made a bad situation worse.

Until you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes, don't criticize people about what offends them.

2. Ridiculous statement. Get real.

3. Yes, some people deserve a good mocking every now and then ...

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Now how did kid bro get a graphic in his tagline? I thought Webby disabled that ability.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I really do understand Diabeetus and SC's points. Think about why the word gay is used for so many negative things. I don't know about all of you, but I remember that being called gay was a pretty serious insult when I was little, I'm talking elementary school age. There is a certain amount of homophobia among young boys. I doubt they even realize why and I can't imagine most people who use the word in a derogatory mannter as adults really have that strong of an opinion about homosexuality.

The word may not be used with hate, but it is coming from a bad place. People just don't think when they use that word and I understand wanting to educate them. I've been there myself when it comes to comments about Jewish people.

I have told the story on here a few times about a cashier at a gas station telling me she had "Jewed me" out of my change. Once I picked my jaw up off the floor, I informed her that I was Jewish and she should be more careful about her comments. She still didn't get it. It was not until later that I realized that while there was ignorance in her words, there was no malice. Hell, given the town she was in, I doubt she even knew any Jewish people.

The part I rarely get into is what I did the next day. I called her boss. I told him that one of his employees had used ethnically offensive language. He was dismissive. When I pressed him, he started yelling at me. Suddenly, I was the bad guy for making a big deal out of it. And to be honest, I was not one bit surprised that he took it that way. Pissed? Definitely. But not surprised.

That said, BTE makes an interesting point. If we are going to educate people who make insensitive comments, we can't pick and choose who gets to be offended and tell others to just grow a thicker skin. There are plenty of inappropriate comments on this site about all types of people. Certain people do go after Southerners quite a bit. There is a whole thread full of jokes about West Virginia (and yes, I contributed there). There are comments about Canada, and comments by Canadians about the U.S., some of which I felt went over the line.

The next time we are ready to pile on somebody for being insensitive to one group, perhaps we should think just a little bit about just how much insensitive crap about others we allow to just fly on by.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Always great entertainment when the dynamic duo of cadet and sportschick get on their high horses. Cadet didn't seem so offended when she was calling other people's kids, "fuck trophies".

7. outofplace

Oh, I missed that one. What thread was that on?

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Thank you for that post. You just made reading this thread worth it.

9. outofplace

Now that made me smile. Thanks right back at ya, Luggie.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Ever heard the expression "two wrongs don't make a right"?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I dunno, try the search function. She was quite proud of it, IIRC.

Some people are so sanctimonious. And dramatic. Diabeetus feels he has to "educate" someone who wasn't offended by "that's so gay".

For fuck's sake. Spare me the education. The dude wasn't offended, and he gets ripped a new one?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So you can say anything about gays, or anybody, and they should just "get over it"? I don't know if PC is always right, but the anti-PC backlash is far worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted