1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPNU gay comment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Well said.

And as I'm typing this, Wilford Brimely is telling me about diabeetus. :D

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

That's kind of the point here. Do you realize how degrading it is that gay has become slang for "that's stupid"?

I'm gonna pick on you here for a second, but how would you feel if "Mike" became slang for "that sucks"? Don't you think that, after a while, you'd get sick of hearing it? Don't you think your ears would perk up each time it was uttered in a negative manner? What opinions would you form about people who used the name Mike as a euphimism for "stupid" or "lame" or "weak"? Do you think you'd eventually take a stand to defend your name, or would you allow the negativity to continue because, after all, it's just a joke?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mike has become slang for "looong dry spell from nookie." As is, "man, she shot me down. I am sooo Mike."

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

OK, jackass, the only reason you posted this is to try and piss people off, and then you could act all high and mighty when it worked. It is obvious it is from last season because on the page you linked the date is Oct. 30, 2006. If you do a web search on the title of the page -- "That's Kinda Gay" -- you find plenty of information about what happened to Brian Kinchen. You could then follow that up with a web search of Kinchen and get any updates. I did all this in the space of 90 seconds.

So save your superiority about whatever you say will be taken the wrong way and you were just too lazy to find out the information for yourself, blah, blah, blah. In other words, you prefer to stay ignorant, and that's exactly how you come across.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

All the points made on here are solid. Can't really argue with any of them.

The problem is, they are selective.

On this board "southerners" have come to be regarded as stupid, redneck, cousin-marrying, NASCAR-loving rubes on many occasions. The ratio of "insulting southerners" posts to "insulting gay" posts on here is about 100:1.

Mizzougrad and Boom have made a cottage industry of insulting them.

Occasionally a southerner or two will take issue. Most of the time we just roll our eyes and say, "Whatever."

But does the board as a whole stand up to defend them? SC? Diabeetus? Cadet? Buck? Not that I can remember. Maybe I'm wrong, but most of the time it's left to the so-called "offended group" to say something. And that's fine. I expect a Canadian or a Montana chick to "tolerate" just about anything said about a group that's not in their circle. So please do not be offended if we all do not rush to the rescue of the poor, insulted gay person. We're all big boys and girls. We can take care of ourselves . . . and educate the offending parties, if we feel it is necessary.

6. dooley_womack1

Spoken like a real cracker.

:D Oh, that was set up on a tee. Not reflective of my feelings about the south, where I work/worked most of my career.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This whole thread is so Wampanoag.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Ah but when the Canadians strike back, people cry and say 'sheesh, can't you take a joke?'

9. dooley_womack1

But an American joke is worth about 15 Canadian jokes.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Actually, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of NY, we're on even footing today, dools ... with the Murrican economy set to crash, thanks to oil being worth $100 a barrel and climbing.

11. dooley_womack1

Wow, Martin Short is heading for a windfall.

12. This is the most unintentionally funny thread I've ever read, just because there's so much miscommunication bottled up into two pages - among a bunch of posters I like.

Poor Diabeetus, just wanting to voice his side without piling on the guy, is accused of piling on.

Mike tells a story of how he used to use gay as a derogatory term but learned his lesson and Cadet, who I absolutely adore, gives it to him anyway. :)

My favorite part is when BTExpress takes the issue of gay bashing and tries to apply it to being Southern.

Outstanding. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted