1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Wright Thompson Talks About His Daufuskie Island Story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TMitrosilis, Jun 4, 2011.

1. TMitrosilis

TMitrosilis New Member

Hey all,

My name is Teddy Mitrosilis. I graduated from UNC this spring with a journalism degree and have long been a reader of this site, just never registered and joined the conversation. I'm close to earning a job in sports journalism and will most likely be beginning work within the next month. Until then, I wanted to create a new blog just to have a place to write and keep the juices flowing. Last week I started WesternSideline.com. Today I put up a post that includes a brief Q&A with Wright Thompson of ESPN about his recent feature on Daufuskie Island. I originally got the idea from Esquire's Chris Jones, who does great general writing Q&A's on his blog, but wanted to tweak his idea a little bit and make something my own. I have always been curious about how writers I admire go about their work, so I decided to narrow the focus and talk to writers about one specific piece they wrote. I wanted to find out the process he or she went through while hatching the idea for a piece, reporting it, and then writing it. So Wright and his Daufuskie Island story were more or less my test case. I figured since this is a forum for sportswriters, there would be others who would enjoy hearing what he has to say, especially the young writers on this site like myself. Here's the link: http://bit.ly/mk6q99

I will post future Q&A's I do with other writers. Thanks everyone. Although I have not been a frequent commenter, I thoroughly enjoy threads on this message board and the discussion of different ideas.

-Teddy

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If this doesn't include Thompson saying what his favorite pizza is, I'll just stick with Biofiles, thanks.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did you ask him why he writes 30 words when five will do?

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Interesting read. Thanks.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I literally recommend you avoid using "literally" unless you mean something actually occurred.

Otherwise, I thought the interview section was interesting if not ground-breaking.

6. TMitrosilis

TMitrosilis New Member

Thanks to all who have read so far. Hope you got a minute or two of entertainment out of Wright's answers.

Versatile,

I'll literally take your advice to heart. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted