1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Top 20 NFL Coaches Ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, May 24, 2013.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

He also won with steve deberg...no other pro coach can make that claim?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's unfair to consider Schottenheimer's whole career a joke when he has 200 wins, but he doesn't belong in the top 20 of all time... You can't be that bad in the postseason and expect to be compared favorably to coaches who won titles...

It would be really interesting to see how history would have viewed Schottenheimer if he had won one title...

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Probably like Cowher, but better because he had success more places. Cowher's post-season history was every bit as ugly until the Steelers won Super Bowl XL, and even that was one of the worst-played games in Super Bowl history.

4. He also had Montana.

5. I think Cowher's star shines brighter .. based on AFC Championship game appearances and two Super Bowls.

6. Mizzougrad96

Cowher was 12-9 in the playoffs and had already been to the Super Bowl before he finally won one... There's a big difference between that and 5-13 in the postseason.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Does Schottenheimer = Bobby Cox without a title?

Discuss.

8. cyclingwriter

ahem....

http://espn.go.com/united-football-league/story/_/id/7133522/virginia-destroyers-ufl-give-marty-schottenheimer-first-pro-title

oh, who I am kidding....

And my steelers-loving family would be so proud to know that I am defending Marty Schottenheimer on an internet message board.

9. cyclingwriter

I think he is more of a Billy Martin. He took bad teams, made them immediately better and then burned out quickly.

Also, had BillyBall ala MartyBall.

10. Mizzougrad96

Marty would take horrible teams and make them competitive very quickly and then as soon as they were expected to do anything of substance during the playoffs, he would shit the bed.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I forgot about his San Diego days.

12. Mizzougrad96

Marty also gets point that every coach who has succeeded him has failed, or at least didn't do as well as he did...

Draft saved Draft deleted