1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Titletown ... really!?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I'm not defending ESPN or the selection of Valdosta in the slightest bit but, since you asked ...

Valdosta High School: 24 state football titles, "winningest" high school football program in the country with 838 wins, 191 losses and 31 ties.
    Lowndes High School: 5 state football titles
    Valdosta State University: Div. II national titles in football (04, 07), tennis (06) and baseball (79)

I'd say none of this is significant enough to qualify Valdosta as, um, "Titletown." But I don't really know what the hell it <i>means</i> to be "Titletown," so maybe it does. Of only one thing I'm entirely sure: I couldn't possibly care less one way or the other.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

A truly stupid, pandering series. Every time it came on, it was my cue to turn from Sports Center.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What depths will they plunge to next July?

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Time for another tie-in with ABC ... The Boo-ya Bachelor: Stu Scott

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So state titles are the equivalent of the GSWA awards... big deal... :D

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The segment they were running today people showed up to a stadium and the town was actually presented a trophy.

What is wrong with these people.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'll say this for VHS, which claims six national titles in football (how the hell you can detrmine that is anyone's guess): Interest in the football program is what has kept the school relevent to the old money families in the community. Valdosta High is something like 55-60% black, and all too often in the South, that opens the floodgates for a school to become 95%+ black and suddenly the rich folks either move outside the district or get tax support cut to the bone. Even though there's been a slow shift to the county school system (which is why you see rival Lowndes High as the rising power now), enough people have stuck with VHS to keep it strong.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is Stu Scott telling everyone where we can buy our Valdosta Titletown shirts and caps?

BRING BACK THE GREAT OUTDOOR GAMES AND THE BIG AIR DOGS!!!!!

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Hal Mumme's days of controversy started down the road from here, when he coached at Iowa Wesleyan College and said he was going to turn the NAIA school into a I-AA program, and then started spending money like it was a D-I program. He fled to Valdosta State before he got canned.

Back to the original thread....

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm so glad that crap is over. What a waste of SportsCenter time.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This shit made ESPN Deportes look informative.

Draft saved Draft deleted