1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's questionable ethics, or no?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Dec 15, 2009.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I just read a blog post by Jeff Pearlman about ESPN not properly sourcing SI's Jon Heyman for breaking the Halladay trade news. Apparently, they originally cited him and then changed it to, sources said, and then ESPN's XXX is reporting, yadda yadda yadda.

Now, what's wrong with that? On my beat, if I'm beat, I get the issue confirmed and report it. I would never - nor could never - simply attribute something as big as a Halladay deal to my chief rival.

What say you?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I say a thread about ESPN's ethics usually is posted as often as smallpotatoes' threads on youth sports.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

ESPN ethics = NO.
    ESPN has no ethics.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

When was the last time you saw the New York Post give credit to the New York Daily News by name for breaking a story, or vice versa?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Never, GB. But that's not the point.
    I think all of this bullshit over giving credit--especially on the net--is a pile of crap.

I also think ESPN chucked ethics out the window years ago.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Could I ask why you came to that conclusion? I'm honestly interested.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do you read ESPN.com? Do you watch the shameless self-promotion and sucking up to those sports that they televise on ESPN?
    Do you really have to ask that question?

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think you are confusing that which appears on ESPN with that which appears on ESPN.com.

There is some seriously good, if not great, work being done on that site every week. To dismiss it, or say it is produced unethically, simply because it falls under ESPN's giant umbrella is, I think, false.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I never said everythning on the Web site is produced unethically.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But isn't that what we're discussing here, ESPN.com's reporting of this particular trade?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"ESPN has learned..." has been an SportsJournalists.com meme since long before I joined the board.

12. sportsed

sportsed Member

I'd be curious as to how every other news organization handled this very story. Go ahead and click on the story on your Web site (or turn to Page Whatever in your yellowing paper edition). Does it say "as first reported by SI.com" or some similar wording? Then why the hell does ESPN.com have to leave that in its story after it has performed the due diligence necessary to be able to report the story itself?

Draft saved Draft deleted