1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's MNF GRAPHICS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Aug 14, 2006.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

A friend of mine who is a die-hard football fan called me tonight during MNF and said she just hates the placement of the score graphic in the bottom center of the screen. She asked me why they would put it *There* considering the other networks put it either in a stripe across the top of or the bottom of the screen or in a corner of the screen.

I told her I was hoping they would get complaints like hers during the preseason games if they left the score graphic there and would probably decide to change it by the beginning of the regular season.

I was annoyed with the placement myself but was too wrapped up in a ChiSox game to care much beyond that.

Anybody who stuck with the game find the placement as annoying as my friend did? Just checking.......

2. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

I kind of liked the placement. ... Some of us el-cheapos have older TVs and the graphics on top of the screen don't appear. ... There's no way anybody can miss this graphic.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I doubt if complaints will make ESPN move the graphic. After all, FOX hasn't quit using all the BS sound effects every time the down-and-distance changes or when they "fly in" a stats package. That shit is much worse than MNF's little graphic in the bottom center of the screen.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I wish we could go back to just the score in the top right corner. That way I can actually see what's happening on the field.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Precisely. CBS has this nailed. Clear, readable game graphic in one upper corner, and the updating, translucent score box in the other. I'm not a fan of having that graphic down there. You don't want to draw attention to the bottom of the damn screen during a football game.

6. lono

lono Active Member

The graphic was almost as annoying as Tony, Tony, Tony. But not quite.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Anyone see any pics on-line of the score bug?
    I am looking for some to show co-workers, but am having no luck.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I too found it extremely distracting. I kept thinking they were cutting to commercial, the way it ran on the screen.

They can keep it the same size and move it to an upper corner and it would be fine. They don't have to have pop-up graphics sliding out of both sides of the box.

One man's innovation is another man's nuisance.

9. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I didn't like the placement of ESPN's score graphic either, but I suspect we're stuck with it, because NOBODY ever changes this stuff.

Disagree with you on one thing, DD68. If that's all CBS had, I'd be OK with it. But I can't stand all of their fantasy football info on the screen. Gets real annoying real quick that every time some wideout catches a 7-yard slant, we have to see the update on both his and the QB's stats popping out of the scorebox. Enough already. yeah, since the QB was 8-for-14 for 96 yards with one TD and one INT when you just showed me that graphic FORTY FUCKING SECONDS AGO, I suspect he now is 9-for-15 for 103 yards with one TD and one INT. Thanks for that crucial info.

Geez, I sound like Mushnick. But sometimes he's right. :D

10. markvid

markvid Guest

As a lot of us who do TV production say...

Today's mistake is tomorrow's replay effect.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm not in the habit of watching August weeknight NFL games. Anyone have a link to this dreaded scoreboard?

12. standman

standman Member

I was afraid of getting crosseyed. If ESPN isn't careful it's going to get sued like Steve Martin did after he created the optigrab in The Jerk.

Draft saved Draft deleted