1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's latest ombudsman: Poynter Institute

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 24, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2011/02/24/the-poynter-review-project-to-launch-with-espn/

ESPN and The Poynter Institute today announced a new step in media transparency—The Poynter Review Project—in which a panel of Poynter faculty will review ESPN content across all platforms and publicly comment on ESPN's efforts. This will include monthly essays and additional timely responses as issues arise.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This could be interesting. Poynter is as snobby as ESPN is shitty.

I wonder how long it will take for Poynter to point out all of the conflicts of interest.

I'm very surprised by this.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And here I didn't think ESPN could find a less relevant ombudsman than Don Ohlmeyer.

4. Mizzougrad96

Oh, I have to disagree. The people at Poynter are the biggest snobs in the business. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but some of the rules the writers at the SP Times have to adhere to are as extreme as you get. There's no wiggle room.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

But will it matter if the issues and obvious problems that crop up aren't fixed? If the attitude is just "Oh, that's just the ombud, keep doing what you're doing," what's the point?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But nobody who's actually working in the field gives a shit about anything said or considered at Poynter.

7. Mizzougrad96

True.

8. Mizzougrad96

Agreed, but it will make for great board content if Poynter rips the crap out of just about everything ESPN does.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And that's the problem right there. Anything the ombud writes is ignored by the suits.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That, and Poynter's favorite scab to pick is diversity, first and always.

This could get interesting.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Agree with all quoted posts here.

I'll actually seek out the ombudsman with regularity for the first time since Solomon was ombudsman (stopped because it was easy to see that ESPN didn't care what ombudsman said anyway, what was the point?).

This will be fun.

12. sully84

sully84 New Member

Yeah, have to agree with Mizzou on this. I can't see them not tirelessly ripping them a new one. Whether anyone at ESPN is taking notes or not, it will still make for good times on boards like this one.
    Poynter will probably be harsher than a j-school faculty fulfilling this function.

Draft saved Draft deleted