1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Howard Bryant (allegedly) pulls a Jay Mariotti

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I hope this isn't true. A family member of mine had something like this happen to him with his girlfriend. She's still with him 10 years later. It's a weird thing when it's someone you know. It's easy to trash someone you don't know or don't like and easy to defend someone you do know and do like.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The charges will be dropped or he'll be found not guilty, but just about everybody will wonder what the truth really is.

A black man yelling at a white woman causes people to react differently. It's sad, but it does.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

It's on his Fox Sports page. http://www.foxsportsradio.com/pages/jasonwhitlock/index.html?uri=channels/449784/

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

You should read the book before you just assume that he'd pull the race card because he authored it. That book is about as far as possible from someone simply pulling the race card.

And as Oscarx3 notes, this incident--no matter how it turns out--is bitter irony when juxtaposed with some of the incidents Bryant wrote about in that book.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It took me three minutes to remember where those lines in your sig came from. Mizzou's is in the SportsJournalists.com HOF.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

It might be the best line anyone has ever authored here. :D

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Whenever I see an employer trying to justify keeping an employee who has embarrassed it publicly or otherwise earned a reprimand, suspension or termination, I always end up thinking about those sports journalists who have done nothing wrong and in fact have always represented their organizations well -- yet end up getting kicked to the curb anyway for economic or staffing reasons because they're not stars or they don't make their bosses feel good about hiring them.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

9. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Why should the denials "soundly dispel" the possibility that an assault took place?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Maybe some of those journalists aren't nearly as good as the people doing the embarassing.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A denial by the supposed assault victim that said assault took place does indeed represent a LEGAL refutation (noun for soundly dispel) of the charge. We can't go back in time to capture reality, so the legal system is all we've got to figure this out. I worked with Howard and I liked him and I sincerely prefer to believe his version of events, but I think any declarative statements are premature until the law works its usual agonizing course.

12. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Thank you. That is in part why I asked the question.

I'm sure we've all covered enough cases/stories involving police/witness statements/denials/etc. to understand that this is just the beginning of the story.

Declaring either side's version of the events as more accurate or believable at this juncture is premature and, to be blunt, irresponsible for journalists.

Draft saved Draft deleted