1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Brad Edwards projects Boise State will be No. 1 in the BCS next week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd love to see Oregon in the title game. I'd love to see them playing Boise State or TCU and have no one west of Salt Lake City watch the game.

I'm rooting for chaos because that's the only way we're ever going to have a chance at a playoff. If no team from the SEC, Big 12 or Big 10 made the title game, that would be chaos.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Odds are good that 1 Big 12 team will be undefeated (either Nebraska or Oklahoma). So there's one berth. Oregon could be undefeated, but so could Ohio State, or for that matter, Michigan State. Hell, maybe Auburn and/or LSU (don't think so). In short, there's too high a likelihood two BCS conference teams will be undefeated to make either an Alabama return to the BCS title game or Boise/TCU getting there anything but low-probability events.
    Boise getting into the BCS title game wouldn't necessarily bring a playoff closer, but a one-loss BCS conference team getting in ahead of an undefeated BCS conference team would, IMO. That would lead to thieves falling out.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You missed my point. Nobody should get to say except the players on the field. That is the only conclusive way to prove who is better.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

So what are you suggesting, a player's poll? A system where the players schedule all the games with a playoff system in which only the players on the field get to decide who plays who? Lock all NCAA football teams in a dome for five months and don't let them come back until there is a consensus on who is number one? This is complete malarkey.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

A 16-game playoff isn't malarkey when you consider any undefeated team/conference champion would make the tourney. Hell, the SUC and Big Eleven apologists could potentially get 2-3 teams in the field.

6. Point of Order

Do the players on the field get to say who makes the playoff?

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

No but at least they get an opportunity. If they're unbeaten they would be in the top 16. Take all 11 conference champs and five at large.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I venture that there are at least five schools on Boise's schedule this year that can fairly be described as rent-a-win schools: Wyoming, New Mexico State, Toledo, San Jose State and Utah State. Now, I think there's been a bit of a trend in recent years for those schools to start angling for 2-for-1s (Texas at Wyoming, Arizona at Toledo, etc.). But they're rent-a-win schools. And I'm giving Louisiana Tech and Fresno State the benefit of the doubt there. And, actually, taking another look, Idaho played at Nebraska, and I'd be real surprised if there was a return trip there.

Point being, if you have to play those rent-a-win teams in the conference, then don't play them out of it. Or if you do, because you need to sustain the health of your program or whatever, then don't try to claim your schedule's on a par with, well, anyone else's, and don't claim that going unbeaten against it is an accomplishment.

9. Point of Order

But nobody except the players on the field should get to decide.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

This way the players would have a say. If they lose a game and get left out, then they have themselves to blame. Play semantics if you want to be a douche, but you can't tell me the current system is better.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Les Miles is going to completely fuck up this scenario.

Fear The Hat.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Reminds me of something Robb Akey, the Idaho coach/quote machine, said earlier this season.

When asked if Idaho's game at Nebraska was scheduled with senior quarterback Nate Enderle (a Nebraska native) in mind, Akey said, "This trip was scheduled with lots of dollars in mind."

Draft saved Draft deleted