1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Brad Edwards projects Boise State will be No. 1 in the BCS next week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 11, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's been mentioned on this or another thread, but the reality of it is that it isn't a lack of cajones that keeps teams from scheduling tougher, but dollars.
    In most conferences, you are guaranteed at least four home games and on the road for four games. Throw in the travel costs of an out of region non-con and most schools will prefer to play 3 or 4 home non-cons or 2 of 3. Throw in how poll-voters judge teams for the first poll on where they are playing their toughest games and I can understand why school prefer to stay home.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Of course, but the comment was that there are only two good teams in the MWC and that is simply not true, in this year or most others.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The MWC, including Air Force, has three ranked teams. How many does the Big East have? The rest of the conference isn't great at the moment, but realistically most conferences are top heavy. And BYU is down this year but has been a top-10 to 20 calibre team for how long? And mention that Utah and BYU are leaving but leave out that Boise State and Nevada, both ranked in the top 20 at the moment, are coming in, plus Fresno State that traditionally has held its own. The conference really needs to hold on to TCU to keep the pace, but it's tough to argue that it's not at least an above-average league.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And BYU is down in a large part because it's first=string QB is out and it's playing a freshman.

With that, I'll bow out. Nice to see that people can have opposing points of view without getting personal. Thanks all for the civil discourse.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

One of the three will be in the Pac 10 next year. And another may be leaving in the near future.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The Mountain West is better than the Big East THIS year. Which isn't saying much.

And remind me again what Air Force has done that merits getting ranked?

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This year. I meant this year. I didn't word it very well, though. I didn't mean no one's played Utah over the past however many years. I meant that, this year, no one is playing what has been the MWC's best team over the past however many years.

As for Air Force, not much, besides nearly beating Oklahoma. But then a team ranked 23rd often hasn't done much to deserve being ranked, other than not losing in the past few weeks. (Also, apparently it's not just SEC teams that can get ranked for going 5-1 and not actually beating anyone of any quality.)

Draft saved Draft deleted