1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's blackout policy on baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JBHawkEye, Sep 21, 2006.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

What is ESPN's blackout policy on MLB games? (Forgive me if this has been asked before here).

Last night, the Tigers-White Sox game was blacked out in our area on ESPN. Tonight, the Twins/Red Sox game was blacked out on ESPN2.

Anyone know what the policy is?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Policy? Hah... you're at the mercy of whichever way they feel like doing things

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If the game is being showed on a local broadcast or cable station then it's blacked out on ESPN.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Except I couldn't find the Hawktard broadcast anywhere, not that I tried very hard.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That might have been one of those games that was broadcast on WCIU. If you're south enough of the city, you likely don't get that channel.

6. KP

KP Active Member

And that doesn't explain why he wouldn't get tonight's Twinkies-Other Dead Sox game.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Perhaps Berman was announcing one of the games and his mere presence forced a blackout.

8. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I think it has to do with which teams are considered your home teams.

Look at this map: http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247/drawer2000/MLBBLACKOUT.jpg

Since you're in Iowa, it looks like ESPN games would be blacked out in your area if they involved the Cubs, White Sox, Twins, Royals, Cardinals or Brewers. I don't think the blackouts apply to Sunday night games, as only ESPN broadcasts those.

Draft saved Draft deleted