1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN2 --- WTF? A marching band show?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 5, 2006.

1. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Hey, they had the World Stacking Championships on the other day.
    Yes, stacking.
    Cups.
    Stacking them and then unstacking them in pyramids. Fast.
    Sober.
    They even had relays.

I'll give them band competitions over stacking championships.

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

If it's a surprise to anyone that they've turned the lights on at a stadium for a band competition, you haven't covered a historically black college. And that's a shame, because you truly are missing out on one of the greatest scenes in college sports -- an HBCU halftime show. It's high on my list of things I love about college football.

As for these band competitions, they routinely sell out stadiums, especially when some of the better bands are involved. Hell, they had one in Atlanta a couple months back and the damn dome was nearly sold out.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You know, there are some fine marching band geeks. Point is, it's all crap that I lump in with the WSOP.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

If they threw in Grambling vs. Southern or some of the high schools I saw in Alabama, I would understand.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hey, I was a marching band bum. I probably would have enjoyed that.

Having said that, there has to be some other outlet for this ... if it has enough of a market to justify a broadcast.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

It probably does better numbers than hockey.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, from what I saw before I got smart, at the time of the competition there were plenty of good seats still remaining.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, they were watching Spaz's friend beat "The Stomach"

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

OK, setting the record straight _ it's not a marching band competition. It's drum corps, which means no clarinets, flutes or any of that stuff. Just brass and drums. And Phantom Regiment rocked.

I am now, officially, the biggest geek of SportsJournalists.com. :-[

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No you're not... close, but no...
    Actually drum corps is cool as hell.. dont know if it should be on 2, but its cool...

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

This one time at band camp ...

Seriously, there's a big difference in high school band competitions and Drum Corps International, and I ain't no band geek. Those kids practice huge amounts of hours after being selected for the corps and their performances are spectacular. None of that stand around in a formation and play for 10 minutes bullcrap you see at most high school football games.

That being said, I wouldn't vote for it to be on ESPN, but most of those fringe sports competitions on the Worldwide Leader are paid infomercials. If last year's show got a .49 rating as stated on this thread, I'd bet they're not even having to pay.

12. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Not sure if this belonged on ESPN2. But Drum and Bugle Corp is some really cool shit. This was at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison and the place was crazy. I watched the last 45 minutes and enjoyed the hell out of it. Given the choice of watching NHL or Drum and Bugle, I would take the bands every time(as would most people if the numbers are the measuring stick).

Draft saved Draft deleted