1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN = Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Yes? No? Why or Why not?

Discuss

An experiment on my part. Just throwing a topic out, letting the masses have at it, if they want to, and waiting to see what happens and how it develops.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

espn appears to pay its employees a lot better.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Most people would take Wal-Mart over living in Bristol, Conn.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Fnord. Queef. Poot.

But I'll stop short of asking for the bunny, and say that ESPN is trying to be the ubiquitous brand, like Wal-Mart, but it doesn't appear to be cutting every little corner in its expansion; it's bucking up for talent, not hiring minimum wage.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I pose the question because it seems ESPN fits some of the talking points from the anti-Wal-Mart crowd (minus the poor pay) by being bigger, faster, cheaper and crappier in quality in many cases. It also seems to want to rule the world and dominate or drive out competitors.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Well, everybody wants to rule the world.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart is evil

ESPN is a drunken frat boy

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Take it to the "Post a song you're listening to now" thread.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I guess I can see the resemblance:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't see that. I don't see anything predatory about hiring people from a variety of newspapers; it doesn't seem that they're picking on any one news organization in particular. And I think they would need to add about 800 reporters to be able to compete for news evenly with large papers in every decent-size pro and major-college market.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I don't think I can name one mom 'n' pop operation that ESPN has caused to fold. Most of the other major sports broadcasters seem to be doing fine as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted