1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN: The NFL's bitch, but College Football's king

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The only problem with this argument is the very definition of a pro sports league is one where the athletes get paid.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I can only assume MM isn't interested in watching that game. Whatever floats his boat.

At least Florida State (2020) and Michigan State (2022) are scheduled to go to Boise.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I wouldn't necessarily cite Sparty as an example of magnanimity. I think Dantonio might just be crazy. For cripe's sake, MSU is playing at all three of the directional Michigan schools over the next 10 years. Even Eastern?!?!?! (That game will end up at Ford Field is anyone knows what's good for them.)

(I went to Central. Playing MSU in Mount Pleasant didn't do us one damned bit of good last year.)

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

MSU has played the directionals quite a bit over the years. That predates Dantonio.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sparty won last year's game at home 17-13.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

To the question of why would teams schedule tough road games or potential losses, the playoff selection committee could greatly encourage it by saying OOC schedule will be a component of evaluating teams, and then sticking to that word. That's what they do in basketball anyway.

I am fairly confident they won't do that, but they could.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

FSU needs to do all it can to beef up its schedule, being that it is in the ACC, and the ACC sucks.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

In East Lansing. Hell, Central's beaten them three times in the last 25 years including back-to-back years in the early 90s. Last year was the first of nine meetings in the MP.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

College sports is professional in every way except for the athletes. Coaches, administrators and officials all get paid. Athletes do not, officially.

10. Jake_Taylor

High school coaches, administrators and officials all get paid.

If I pay a tennis instructor to work with a 10-year-old before the county youth tournament did I turn it into a professional tournament?

If athletes get paid it is pro sports. If they don't it's not.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Gotcha. I'm thinking more in terms of the amount of money, the level of fan interest and TV coverage in terms of it being a professional sport. College football and men's basketball are at that level.

12. Jake_Taylor

I'd call it a big business, but not a pro sport. Of course fellas such as Cam Newton help put a bit of kink in that argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted