1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN: The NFL's bitch, but College Football's king

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Again, why?

"Just because" isn't an acceptable answer.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The system penalizes you for doing that. You win and you hold steady or move up a spot or two in the rankings. You lose, you drop 10 spots and now your postseason chances rest with teams ahead of you losing. Not even close to be equitable risk-reward.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It only isn't a pro sports league in terms of the athletes getting paid and the teams are affiliated with colleges. In every other way, they're professional.

The other college sports also have considerably more games, which gives more of a chance of an upset by non-conference teams. A football team may play one D-IAA (or whatever it's called) team, leaving one chance at an upset. A basketball team may play five mid-majors, or more, giving more of a chance. Plus, in baseball, weather is a big factor. Northeast schools have to go on the road more, especially early, because the southern and western schools have better weather.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In the interest of accuracy, Alabama's schedule this year has 7 home games, 4 road games and one neutral site game (Virginia Tech in Atlanta).

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And the Pac-12 and Big 12 play nine conference games, so not all teams play an equal number of home/away games within the conference.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

When you let the participants make the rules, why are you surprised that the rules are stacked in their favor?

7. Baron Scicluna

I'd gotten my info from their page on Yahoo, which didn't have it as a neutral site game.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Again, you fucking idiot, whether you consider it a pro sports league or not is irrelevant to the discussion. Please come back when you have a point that make sense.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Boise State should get a home game with USC or Michigan or Alabama the same season it schedules a game at Eastern Washington.

You know, for fun.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You're rad.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Going, going, GONE!

Touch 'em all, Mystery Meat.

12. Baron Scicluna

If the Red Sox and Yankees each had 108 home games and 54 road games, would you think that is fair?

Actually, don't bother answering it. I don't want to tire out your three remaining brain cells.

Draft saved Draft deleted