1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN: The Magazine HGH story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 29, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just posted this on the other thread. As part of their negotiations, the league and the union can agree to set aside money for ANYTHING they deem important, including a former players fund. I had one thing wrong because I was speaking out of school... but I checked: They actually do set aside the money in the disability fund jointly. And there is more than a billion dollars sitting in the fund. The problem from the former players' standpoint is that while the league and the union have agreed to set aside the money for window-dressing purposes, they have not agreed to spend it liberally. The board has six members, with the union controlling half of the seats and the league's management council controlling the other half. And the union makes sure that the money doesn't get spent. They fight every claim tooth and nail and have a lawyer hired specifically to contest claims. The solution--from the former players' standpoint--would be if they could somehow shame the union into allowing the money they set aside to be administered by an independent arbitrator. But the league and the PA will never agree to put money into a fund that they can't control. And as long as the union is in control of that fund, they will see to it that the former players don't get their hands on the money.

So as I said originally, it comes back to one thing for me: This is entirely in the hands of the players union, which represents the current players. If they don't see fit to take care of former players--and this is keeping in mind that most of the current players will be former players in three years, yet they still are too shortsighted to care--why should Joe Fan be outraged?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're absolutely wrong. A union cannot negotiate for benefits for people who are not in the bargaining unit. Period. Please go talk to a labor lawyer before you keep saying dumb stuff like that. It's even more ridiculous to say a former employees' pension/benefits "is entirely in the hands of the ... union." There is no industry in which current employees pay for pensions or benefits for former employees.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have no idea who is right here, but you can't assume that the NFL and the NFLPA operate like a normal business and union do.

4. The Big Ragu

Then explain the fact that the league and the union have a disability fund set up that covers FORMER players. Or explain the fact that FORMER NFL players receive a pension. According to your post, those things are an absolute impossibility. I don't need a labor lawyer to explain things that are a reality to me.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ragu,

The disability fund, as I explained to you on the other thread was a collectively bargained benefit for existing players that was extended to former players. Nothing wrong with that. The answer to your second question is exactly the same as the answer to your first question. You have no clue about what can and can't be done under labor law. That's why I suggested you consult one. I'm not a lwayer, but at least I speak from the experience of being involved with labor unions for more than 20 years at a pretty high level.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

IQ 94. check
    Got a Masters degree by coloring within the lines. check
    Once squatted for two hours in a Hong Kong toilet. check
    Ass to die for. check
    Dates (i.e. pulls) myself, often. check
    Taught Bukowski how to drink. check
    Has Billy Koch on speed dial. check

I think I stack up pretty well there, Ragoo.

7. The Big Ragu

Jones, Hmmm. You sound like the kind of guy I'd like to hang out with. Can you point me to your YouTube videos, so I can make sure?

8. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

John you are completely right on the Vitamin C and I would also suggest natural Probiotic foods like Active Culture yogurt and onions and Supplementing with other Probiotics will help. Probiotics help the body eliminate waste that stays in the digestive track like fiber . Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that will also stop and prevent allergic reactions. Some people are overweight not so much based on what they eat or family history but more because they do not have enough beneficial bacteria in their guts to break down the foods they eat thus slowing the digestive system down leading to storage and accumulation of toxins.

9. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Thanks Indiansnetwork

I agree I would also suggest a digestive enzyme once in a while it can really help remove the toxins as well.

John

Draft saved Draft deleted