1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN: The Magazine HGH story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Don't have a link because it's on Insider, but good piece in the latest Magazine ... basically, the premise is that football players get knocked in the head so much that studies show it could injure their pituatary gland, leaving them with a shortage of natural HGH. Therefore, a lot of NFL players may need HGH just to maintain their health, not to enhance performance.

Good stuff and interesting to think about.

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

This is the type of thing JDV was referring to in some of his posts about steroids and McGwire. Not sure this will vindicate him in any way but he is on the right track and hopefully he can have some real scoops coming forward soon.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ah. Now it all makes sense!

Can you find me that post from JDV? Must have missed it.

And even if you can't (because it doesn't exist), maybe you can tell me what Mark McGwire has to do with football players who need HGH because of damage to their pituitary glands?

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I think what happened is that McGwire played a couple games of Rugby with JDV and got his wig busted, resulting in the aformentioned pituitary retardation.

Pull chicks, whatever.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Can we please get a thread with JDV, IndiansNetwork and Rambo posting back and forth? It would be the biggest car wreck in the history of the Internet.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

It's the kind of thing Al Gore envisioned when he invented the interent.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I would pay to read that. It'd totally rawk!

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It gives indiansnetwork another excuse to kiss JDV's ass?

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I this case your handle matches up with your post.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

whatever :)

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

How about a story about how quickly an HGH test can be done so it can be officially banned in all sports and even pro wrestling?

12. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Yes, that is pretty much exactly what I have said MANY times over. I appreciate the props Indians.

What I said in my videos (full 10 before I took down the last 7) and in interviews with national outlets in private (most off the record for background on MM issue), AND in these threads several times I believe is the following:

When talking about drugs in sports and "safety" of athletes these things should be kept in mind & put in perspective

1.) Many of these sports are inherently dangerous. That is in football, boxing, racing, extreme sports, etc. you can get gravely injured &/or die. It is the case that often the dangers of PED use is substantially lower then playing the actual sport and you could make a great case that PED use in certain sports actually helps protect the athletes or is even needed for the health & safety of athletes (per above)

2.) All PED (that I can think of off hand) are medicines first and foremost and have medicinal uses. Thus, some athletes will also fall into the categories of the population that will need these drugs for medicinal purposes for a variety of reasons, particularly when we are talking about basic hormones, etc. It is almost like saying we can't let women athletes take birth control pills if they need them, or let athletes use thyroid, antidepressant/ADHD, or asthma medication if that is needed as well - it is like WTF??!! How George Orwell do some want to get on this issue - insane!

However, I don't need vindication honestly - I was right all along and the one with real expertise on this. Rather, you should be asking the pile-on critics & wannabees when they are going to apologize to me, this board, & their readers for being so wrong?

Yeah, I am still waiting for those public apologies, but you know its cool, I get typically 1-2 PM's a day when I post (typically from the guys on SJ) saying "hey I am sorry for X & Y, you really know your stuff/are an expert, love your stuff (where can I read it/do you write columns, etc.), keep posting, your super funny & entertaining...& can you help me with my workouts" Of which I am happy to do of course.

But I forgot, everyone on SJ thinks I am a joke right - lol!

What did I tell you guys about the race thing? No group is monolithic & I don't see people/groups that way. So haters STOP trying to speak for all of SJ because you DON'T or the many people PM'ing me are liars. I know where my money is on that bet.

As I said long ago - I never worry because in the end the truth always comes out and wins in the end & I ALWAYS had the truth on my side.

Tried to say that from the start...but no one was listening

Too busy making Wheaties boxes et al I guess

Oh well, today is a new day & all ;)

JDV

Draft saved Draft deleted