1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN The Mag

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steve, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Guest

So if you get past the f=hip-hop humor, which they're doing much less of these days, I've found that the features are pretty good. Tim Keown is always sharp. And that story on Albert Haynesworth and why he snapped a while back was really good. It's easy to bash the mag because of those big four letters, but these guys do a pretty good job, no? Kikcin SI's ass for sure.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Steve . . . .Rushin?

Trying to endear himself to his next employer, while bashing his old one?

;D

3. Steve

Steve Guest

Unfortunatly no. I don't have Rushin's career prospects. But i wouldn't be surprised for him to pop up over there at least online. I am but a lowly young sports writer stuck in Georgia. Just been liking ESPN Mag more lately that's all.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Wright Thompson does a good job, too. His piece on the Ft. Hood Little League had an ending that just blows you out of the water.

5. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Don't think I caught that one, Phila. What issue was it in? I've got about the last four or five stashed under my bed.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If they would just settle on a headline font (instead of the 23,564 they use) . . . and not put the letters in the headline all over the place so you could actually read it instead of trying to decode it . . . and not place squiggly lines and concentric circles over the type just for the heck of it . . . I might consider looking at it regularly again.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I read two issues in a doctor's waiting room while waiting for my wife Saturday. I can't get past the design, too distracting, eye-junk all over the place, like a video game.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Feh. It's okay.

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

I get both ESPN the Mag and SI and I like them both. For some reason, though, the features in ESPN, to me, are better.

10. Garner

Garner Member

Do you have attention deficit disorder?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You can't knock the Mag's design without being arrested by the PC police . . .

Sucks, though.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the Mag. It's at least once a month I read something that makes me think of a comparable story that would work with what I cover. I think they're inventive, and I've gotten over the whole presentation idiosynchracies ...

Draft saved Draft deleted