1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN The Mag WNBA Issue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Earthman, May 12, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

What does supposed to be mean in this case? We should have it because its nice and charitable and a feel good thing for little kids dreams? Not because the marketplace wants it and will support it with dollars. The snark comes from the belief that the former is the only reason the thing exists. If this, women's soccer or any other enterprise truly succeeds the movement has to be organic, not propped up because "we're supposed to."

Loved Stern complaining in one of the pieces in the Mag that the media didn't show up to the WNBA the way he wanted. When in doubt blame the press.

Lugnuts and justgladtobehere like this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Howard or David?

Just go to the local journalism school, hire only a minority female for an unpaid internship and have the write the game pieces for the WNBA home game. Put the piece on line, linked to Instagram and Twitter and watch as no one clicks.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

College softball is good. Any good pitcher throws strikes and works quickly, pace of the game is good. Few years ago, when UCLA was in the world series, they had a 1B that looked like one of the Wild Samoans. Big mama had to be 250.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I don't want my daughter thinking that being propped up is the ultimate dream.

That does more damage than good.

I'd rather her understand the realities of a free market economy.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Is the fact that the women's game, in college and on the pro level, is not as overblown as the men's game a bad thing? How many women's basketball recruiting scandals have there been? Few I imagine, if any. And if they don't go pro (in the WNBA or overseas), they're using college time to become doctors, lawyers, teachers ... you know, contributing to society?

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Why were all those girls in my high school playing on successful soccer, lacrosse, and softball teams when there wasn't a professional league for them to play in?

heyabbott likes this.
  8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Free market? Why not have her support Bernie and Stephanie Cholensky?

9. heyabbott

I think men and women will watch women's sports like softball, lacrosse and soccer because they play their sport at the highest levels. But women's basketball is a lousy game. A WNBA All Star team couldn't beat the Butler Community College men's basketball team.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The USA Olympic women's soccer team couldn't beat a .500 men's college team.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think they were in Detroit before they moved to Tulsa.

Don't ask me why I might know that. I think I read some article somewhere about Great Recession Detroit that referenced it and thought it was a weak illustration of Detroit's woes.

12. heyabbott

Sports consumers are mostly men. Men have played basketball. When they watch women play they are not impressed. No one is watching pro women's soccer on ESPN. World Cup and Olympic sports don't count. Parents and pervs are the only ones who watch gymnastics, 206 weeks every 4yeats

Draft saved Draft deleted