1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN The Mag WNBA Issue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Earthman, May 12, 2016.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The cheering routines get annoying, especially in person, but I agree with your overall point. Women's basketball is always just going to be a less interesting version of the men's game.

Women's lacrosse is similar in that it isn't just a slower version of the men's game. Some of the rule differences go too far, but overall they came up with a game girls can play at a fun pace and the interest is relatively high among fans of the men's game.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Men's and Women's Lacrosse are similar games but the differences between the two are at least the same as differences between Baseball and Softball at the collegiate level, if not greater. Having been around women's lacrosse from rec leagues, through travel leagues, HS Lax and college and club lax almost to a woman they prefer to play women's lacrosse rather than play men's lacrosse rules. Women's lacrosse is not nearly as physical as the men's game but the only equipment they were are eye protectors and mouth guards. My girls spend March through July with upper arm black and blue welts from getting 'pushed' and whacked with lax sticks. I think women's lax at the college level and elite club level is a fun game to watch. They run as much as soccer players. Men lax players do marvel at how the women catch and throw with a stick that has no pocket.

We have beaten the WNBA thing to death here for years. Women's basketball is a crappy version of basketball. As we've almost all basically agreed to, the best women in the world couldn't win a game against a JUCO team or even a top 20 boys HS team in a every state. The best women soccer players may have the same difficulty in competing against boys HS teams, but most of us have played basketball we haven't played soccer. I used to be able to shoot better than most women and if I practiced as much as they did, I would be better. I can't come close and never could, to playing soccer at the women's level.
    BUT NO ONE CARES ANYMORE, except Sally Jenkins and Christine Brennan.
    I couldn't get my daughters to want to see a WNBA game. They wanted to see Men's college or a pro game

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Isn't there a lot of corporate ownership aa well, like in Japanese baseball?

4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Women's lax is really soccer with sticks.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I would think. The arenas in some of the leagues look like D2 or D3 college gyms.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"What's most upsetting is the way it was handled," Indiana Fever player rep Briann January said. "You have a league that is 90 — if not above 90 percent African American — and you have an issue that is directly affecting them and the people they know and you have a league that isn't willing to side with them.

If the league is 90% black maybe you are a racially discriminating. There have to be athletic lesbians who are white. I mean softball and golf are loaded with them

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Dear Briann January:
    You play "basketball"
    Have a nice cool glass of shut the fuck up, and keep your social and political commentary to yourself.
    That is all.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Stick to sports LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted