1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN The Mag: What a sports reporter makes ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mediaguy, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

$75K is ridiculously high... I read somewhere that if you throw out the three biggest markets, 90 percent of print journalists will never break $50K in a year...

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Are you talking sports or all print journalists? That's interesting.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

By my calculations, at my current raise rate of 50 cents per hour, per year, I'll crack the $75,000 barrier sometime around 2130

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

yet another reason not to like ESPN.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm floating at about $30k right now as an almost-full-time guy. No way I'll ever see $75k/year unless I for someone unknown reason get promoted to lead columnist.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Disappointing feature. Even Parade Magazine's annual "what they make" feature has real people with real salaries (not rounded). These two pages had a few specific numbers but far too many general numbers. Just like our complaints, some hockey site is probably blowing up with $12-an-hour rink employees who just read "Zamboni Driver: $50,000".

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Utter crap. Who did they poll ... Rick Reilly? :mad:

I'd like to know their sources ... their talking heads that are pulling down many times more than we'll ever see?

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Just like Washington inside-the-Beltway politicial journalists and pundits, whoever came up with the $75K figure is one of these elitists whose tongue is so far up the colon of power that he/she no longer has a #$%@ clue what it's like for the rest of us out here.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What's funnier is the "small-market TV commentator: $50,000."

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought TV paid the least in comparison to print. And while I'm sure on-air talent gets more, I can't imagine small market talent (I'm guessing that means market nos. 100 and higher) getting that much coin.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

All I know is that we are a small market, and we barely get paid enough to be able to live paycheck to paycheck in the print business. But from what I hear, the TV guys are paid abotu $200 a month less than we are, at least. But then they aren't required to have their own working vehicles.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

ESPN the mag is the worst piece of sports journalism on the market. Horribly written by crapheads who flunked out of ebonics.

Like someone else said: Another reason to hate ESPN :mad:

12. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

After hearing about how you sports journalists get paid, I suggest you change your professions. Sounds like I get paid a lot more than you guys. Maybe you should come work at my water treatment plant.

Draft saved Draft deleted