1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN the Mag vs. SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cosmo, Aug 10, 2007.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Yeah.... can someone put out a hit on Chris Connelly?
    There's a place for "Jerry's Kids": it's called Labor Day weekend.

2. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

If you are in the business, SI is still a must-read. ESPNTM isn't and never has been.

I read it when I am finished with everything else on my coffee table. Half the time, that means the next issue is here before I finish. That never happens with SI.

When my personal reading habits change, I'll admit ESPNTM has arrived. But that day hasn't come yet...for me anyway.

All that being said, I do find occasional stories I enjoy reading in ESPNTM. It's just that sifting through everything else to find them doesn't always seem like the best use of my time.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have two offers to re-up with SI, both for $39 a year.

I can do one where I get a year of Entertainment Weekly as well (I love me some EW).

Or I can do one where I get an extra six months of SI and a fleece (which I wouldn't wear).

Anyone have a suggestion on which way to go?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've read ESPN from the beginning and have always found their feature articles to be very meaty.

The problem is that the quality of those articles is buried in all of the junk in between .

It's pretty predictable that cover and half magazine will be devoted to something ESPN is promoting.

I've taken to looking at index first and folding over the pages of articles I want to read.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I thought the ESPN Morgan Ensberg profile a few months back was fantastic.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Will ESPN the Mag ever go weekly? Pretty tough to make real comparisons to SI in my opinion as long as they're biweekly.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I hope it doesn't. ESPN was lucky enough to launch the publication in the instant-gratification era, knowing that people don't pick up mags for the latest and greatest.

The long-form piece can wait another few days. Worry about 26 issues instead of 52 given ESPN's strengths.

8. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

ESPN the Magazine is light years better than SI.

Its sports and sports is about fun.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

(Pic of a bunny with a pancake on its head)

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

There's your answer.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Can you repeat the question?

Dare I say the Mag is Now.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted