1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN the Mag vs. SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cosmo, Aug 10, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

ESPN: The Mag is for readers with ADD.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, so is SI lately, hockeybeat. Especially with the stuff in the front of the magazine. I'm not trying to hate on SI. I still love it and read it every week. They do better profiles than ESPNTM, with less athlete hero worship.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

Look for ESPN: The Mag to keep improving, at least in the feature well. They recently hired away a youngish editor from Esquire, Chris Berend, who's an excellent guy and the sort of editor that a writer would do well to hitch his horse to. (I believe Wright Thompson is part of Berend's stable.)

I also think they're going to go for the kill on SI, which they probably perceive as weak -- as weak as it's ever been, including in the cash-for-writers department. I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN makes a run at some of SI's remaining major talents.

(They may have already, but I don't get a lot of gossip in my attic in Ottawa.)

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Beat,

Sorry. You're close. It's actually an outlet for wirters with OCD.

YHS, YHS, YHS, YHS, YHS, etc, etc, etc

5. clingerman

clingerman New Member

if espn the mag truly wants to take a run at si, it must stop immediately bs like the lebron-kimmel cover. yeah, si has dropped majorly in the past decade, but that espn cover was the worst i've ever seen, at any time, any place, anywhere. i'm sure 95% of the staff's editors were thinking, "what the f--- are we doing?'

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm not a huge fan of ESPNTM, but I read it in the office or library. The best thing they have going for them is their willingness to try new design things. They come up with some really great stuff.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The writing is great, it's always been great....some of the best talent in the biz is there.

But when you get away from the real talent--Fleming, Bucher, Friend, Keown, Olney, Kurkjian, etc--there's not much there if you're over 23.

I read it the same way I read Playboy....love the articles, the rest of it seems sort of trite, to me.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

ESPN took a run at Rick Reilly when it was launching, and about five years ago took serious runs at Reilly again and Gary Smith at around the same time. Both opted to stick with SI. I know there is lot more to SI than those two, but they are the faces of the magazine. I'll be convinced when ESPN really is able to pilfer a bunch of significant SI talent--it doesn't have to be Gary Smith, but it has to look like some sort of exodus. ESPN has made up way more ground that I would have ever imagined when they launched in the late 90s. I think their circulation is close to 2 million now (bi weekly, as opposed to SI, which is weekly). SI is at somewhere less than 3.5 million, I think. That's still a pretty significant difference (not taking into account how advertisers might value the quality of each of their readers).

ESPN does some quality work that gets ignored by the crotchety types who get freaked by the design and the X Games BS. It mostly fails on the "trying to be funny" stuff and the cross promotion. I personally believe Terry McDonnell's tenure has left SI much worse off. He's looked like the wrong guy. No one needed SI to become US Weekly and he seems like the kind of guy who has more publisher than editor in him. You need the editor to toe the line a little better than he seems to. SI needed to be adaptable; ESPN was a real threat because of its other media properties. But you should never make the changes at the expense of what is already working. There has been some of that.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There are articles in Playboy?

10. TX Writer

TX Writer Member

Apparently I've been missing out on a lot with The Mag. I guess I better pick it up again.

While SI has dropped off considerably, I still consider it the standard when it comes to sports journalism, which actually doesn't say a whole lot. It just doesn't have much competition from that standpoint, at least in my eyes.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wish ESPN would tie in more with the mag, maybe a once a week hour-long show with a short video presentation on a couple of the stories and a discussion with a writer on the backstory. The recent Josh Hamilton and Ben Rothesberger imposter pieces would have been perfect for the format. I hate the way SportsCenter runs some of their features a few times over a two-week period. They really need a new producer to punch up those sappy person overcoming adversity stories. I tune out as soon as I hear the piano.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Will never fully warm up to ESPN The Mag because -- and you've no doubt heard this before -- the type is too small and/or hard to read. And don't blame it on my, er, maturity; it's the only magazine I get that I need to reach for the reading glasses. Fine with all the others, SI included. So it seems like it's a design thing (colored paper thing?).

Draft saved Draft deleted