1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN the Mag does Tony Washington story, Jenna Laine speaks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5497517

Some old stuff:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/76546/

http://www.sportsfanlive.com/sflreports/entry/sportsfanlive_com_exclusive_lineman_s

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Re: Vindication for Jenna Laine? ESPN the Mag on Tony Washington

That is one damn good story.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

An interesting story but this is a classic example of how more doesn't equal better. In fact, it is way overwritten and probably would be a much stronger story had it been about 3/4 the length that it is, if not half.

Just way too many wasted words and paragraphs in an attempt to be melodramatic and frankly it takes way too long to get to the point - that this dude is a sex offender who can't find a job but probably should not be lumped in with creepy priests and softball coaches who molested their parishoners and/or players and whatnot.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I felt the same way. So many paragraphs about his upbringing and how he lived in a rough place. Lots of people live in rough places and don't have sex with their sisters.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

As long as Leonard Little and Ray Lewis have jobs in the NFL, this guy should get a chance. As heinous as the act was (when he was 16, by the way, with little of the social upbringing needed to impress upon on the taboo nature of it), he didn't kill anyone.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How is it vindication for Jenna Laine. She outed his sister when it was not public knowledge. Her story probably cost Washington a draft slot. Does not change how irresponsible her story was.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Was this in the same issue that Seth Wickersham sucked Mangini off?

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This story is like a C-cup one can be proud of but shouldn't flaunt.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think Jenna should return to comment on this thread, or tell us how we should comment.

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Very much agree.
    While ESPN likely fell into this story because of Jenna's piece, that doesn't mean it (the original) should have been printed/posted without lots of vetting. That was the point of many concerns, if I recall correctly.

Allison Glock had lots of time to report this very troubling and complex story. She had editors who gave her time, who likely guided her through it, who had question after question and knew the legal issues. She was able to get the sister on the record -- a girl who we now know is not the victim but who should not have been named in the original story without her consent. I'd imagine that took a decent amount of cajoling and work to get the girl to trust her, or what we call being "a reporter." It's kind of old-fashioned, but some journalists still believe in it rather than running with the words of "a scout" or some unnamed source.

Allison was able to explain how this charge came to light -- apparently through some dubious police tactics. That was a key point to the story. Clearly, she and ESPN didn't rush this through just to be "first." Whatever we think of ESPN, I doubt they'd ever name a teenager who's classified as a victim of sexual assault in a police report without consent.

And I don't think Allison was overly "melodramatic" or that she took too many paragraphs to make the point. His back story was integral to explaining his offense; the reader can then buy it or discard it. It's because of her writing and story-telling that this goes well beyond a story about "a sex offender who can't find a job." His words don't necessarily generate sympathy, but Allison's portrayal sure does make you look at incest amongst consenting teenagers (and the forever legal ramifications) in a different light.
    It's how a piece of this magnitude should be done.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

One thing about this whole story that doesn't make a lot of sense to me: why is he getting some lower-level football action, but can't find a job?

All of these people quoted in the story who are willing to help him out must have connections somewhere.

Boom,

I would also disagree that Laine's story cost Washington a draft slot. The NFL clearly knew what was going on before she did. It's obvious what happened: the agents gave her access to try and make Washington look better. She's not the first person it's happened to, and won't be the last. However, her inexperience led to a big mistake. She lacked what all of us need when we're starting out -- a sounding board.

12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

This is NOT meant to pick on her, because goodness knows she's been through the ringer here. But this is so correct, for anybody who works for a blog or even a newspaper that no longer has the resources for these sort of pieces.
    I'd love if Allison were to stop by and take us through the details that led to the final ESPN the Mag product. I'd imagine they are quite complex.

Jenna had an amazing story at her fingertips, and clearly somebody trusted her with it. That says a lot about her contacts and probably her work ethic and how much she wants to succeed in this profession.
    But there has to be what those in newspapers call "a desk" -- a sounding board, as Elliotte said, editors who have her back and the experience to make sure the final product clears basic journalism standards.
    Not a single person here would have grown into what they are without good editors. (And I realize that's a very clumsy sentence.)

Draft saved Draft deleted