1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN: thanks 24-hour news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Franchise, Feb 19, 2007.

1. The Franchise

The Franchise Member

Watched 4+ hours of NASCAR, golf and NBA on Sunday.
    Turned to 24-hour news channels afterward, hoping for, I don't know, news maybe? Interviews with politicians? Intelligent debate? Hell, anything that could increase my knowledge of current events?
    I got:
    1) Anna Nicole Smith
    2) Idiots climbing on snow-covered mountains got lost
    3) Terrible knock-off of Daily Show
    Ended up watching sports highlights on ESPN that I'd already seen 5 or 6 times, because it was the only outlet providing coverage of what happened Sunday. At least I'm caught up on sports.
    Seriously, do I have to wait to read the newspaper to get caught up on the weekend?

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Who wants to learn about wars or the economy when you can find out that Anna Nicole Smith was embalmed yesterday? Or that Britney Spears is now a hairless freak? Does anyone else wonder how hard other countries laugh at us?

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Laugh at us? Shit, are you kidding?

This crap is our most beloved export. Sad but true.

4. I agree that there has been way too much overexposure on Anna Nicole Smith.

Let she rest in peace and let her legal troubles be out of the public.

5. As much as it pains me to admit it, FNC covers more actual news on weekends than do either CNN or MSNBC, which rely on canned programming.

6. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Dude, if you've seen the same sports highlights six times, you need some fresh air. Try shutting off the TV and reading a book or spending some time outdoors and getting some exercise.
    You'll be amazed at how damn great it'll make you feel.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

My point exactly. Sad, but true.

8. North61

North61 Member

Had the same problem the other night while trying to go to bed. CNN had Larry King interviewing the guy who buzzed Britney. WTF!!!

This is ouuurrrr couunntrryyy

9. Good points. Of course there's always the Internet ... It's on computers now. :)

10. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Or instead of watching golf or watching basketball, throwing on some shorts and actually playing these things yourself!

11. Taylee

Taylee Member

Even if you only played junior varsity in high school.

Draft saved Draft deleted