1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN SportsCenter commercials

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I know everyone hates ESPN out of jealousy, but their SportsCenter commercials are fucking hilarious.

The newest one, with the Manning brothers during the ESPN campus tour, was awesome.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Everyone hates ESPN out of jealousy?

I missed that memo.

For those of us not in television, what are we jealous of, exactly?

The commericals are, in general, funny.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, they far exceed the actual product -- the equivalent of the G.I. Joe dolls action figures you used to play with as a kid, where you'd make all kinds of adventures, guns and bazookas and rockets would shoot and you'd take it home open it up and get the functionallity of an 80-year-old man with a prostate condition.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I knew the angry people would come out of the woodwork.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

DTGDTN!

6. Ditto.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They can get one-on-one interviews with just about anybody they want at any time.

They can get just about anybody to do anything for a photo shoot (see Williams, Ricky, wedding dress).

They actually seem to be expanding what they do and hiring people instead of what most in our business are doing . . . cutting back on what we do and firing people.

Other than that . . . I can't really think of anything.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Decent points, BTE, but
    1. They also often can't ask anything of substance, making the access worthless.

2. I've never, ever sat around the newsroom and wished I could pose a running back in a wedding dress.

3. That's valid, but I could say it of any number of other, more reputable organizations. Ones that don't send Michael Irvin to interview Bobby Bowden.

I like ESPN for what it is -- though I hate some of it. It just ceased to even sniff anything related to journalism a while ago.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm with zeke on all points.

As for the commercials, I'm guessing we won't see Steve Irwin tackle Albert the Alligator anytime soon.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I always thought the best one was Evander Holyfield lookin' for Charley Steiner.

And Charley hidin' under the desk.

"Come get your whippin' Charley ..."

But yes I liked the Steve Erwin/Florida mascot one too. RIP, dude.

And the Mannings one was fairly clever.

Archie and Olivia done good. (Just wish she'd consent to an occasional interview, but ... Archie's graciousness makes up for it.)

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Deadspin linked to it earlier today: http://www.deadspin.com/sports/outdoors/all-we-can-say-is-crikey-198386

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnShow?showID=SRDA
    Here's the Peyton and Eli commercial. Hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted