1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN sinks to new lows of cross-promotion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, May 25, 2007.

1. I'm with you on Baseball Tonight.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Does this mean Depp will be the Sunday conversation?

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Would it kill ESPN to perhaps do a Sunday conversation this weekend on an NHL-related person as a way to mention that the Stanley Cup Finals are starting?

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Agreed, the POTC references are lame indeed, matey, but anything is a welcome diversion from the all-Clemens, all-the-time stuff we've gotten from them over the past 10 days ...

5. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

As much as I detested the cross-promotion, I couldn't finish watching after that, I wonder what the average Sportscenter viewer thinks of it.
    I'd be willing to say there's a large number of people who wished they'd do more of those kind of highlights.
    Biggest mistake ESPN made IMO though was when they made the decision to Hollywoodized the network. Bonds on Bonds comes to mind...God that show was awful.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I don't mind the Hollywood-ization of the network, per se. But IN THE LEAST set aside an hour a day for a straight news show for highlights, news, etc. How hard is that?

7. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

Well, they've pretty much banished the straight news, highlights, etc. to ESPNNews...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Baseball Tonight is the only reason to watch ESPN.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That and the live sports events.

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I don't mind the Deportes update. It brings different sports (mostly soccer) to the show. Plus, I'm not sure how much promoting a Spanish-language channel on an English-language channel really pays off.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

For the record, LaRoche is startng to get his act together.

Draft saved Draft deleted