1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN reports Joe Pa signed a three year extension.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 16, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

But at what point do you say it's not happening anytime soon?

2. chester

chester Member

Right now he is. At that age, things can change, especially when you're talking about three years from now.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If you're going to say it, this would be about the time.

But Bradley's no spring chicken anymore, either. It's possible he doesn't want to start over.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

But if he announced today he was leaving, there'd be a list a mile long of schools who wanted him.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, but how many of them would he want to build?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. He could go downhill fast.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

That's a very good question.

8. He won't decommit. He's enrolling early, which is why he announced today, instead of waiting until the Army All-American Bowl (as was once reported) or waiting until signing day in February.

Also, Newsome didn't want to compete with any other quarterback in his class (or very near him), which is one of the main reasons in my opinion he decommited from UM. Forcier gave a verbal and Shavodrick Beaver did the same. The recruiting sites have also gone on and on about how Newsome and Tajh Boyd were being wooed by many of the same schools, but there'd be no way they'd end up at the same place because Newsome wanted to be THE guy.

PSU had the promise of no redshirt and probably starting in 2010 with Devlin now gone.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Exactly. He was written in as QB2 for 2009 by 7:02 p.m. today. Nobody else will even compete for it, and I'm sure they're delighted they don't have to move Brett Brackett back to quarterback, too.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

At age 104.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm torn on this, but c'est la vie.

Might as drive 'er into the ground.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Exactly.

This is example No. 1 of why I support a mandatory retirement age. If he won't resign, it's hard enough, but what idiot in the administration gives an 82-year-old guy a new contract?

Draft saved Draft deleted