1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN reporting that Miami is thinking about trading Shaq

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stretch15, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

ESPN is reporting that the Miami Herald is saying the Heat are in talks with the Suns to trade Shaq for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks.

If you're the Suns, why in the world would you do this deal?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

They've been looking to unload Marion for a while now. What are the contract disparities between the two?

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Marion makes about $15 million. Not sure how many years are left. Without Nash, he will be exposed as being a better defending Ced Ceballos.

4. XXXX

XXXX Member

Still though, watching Shaq this year has been hard. He just looks like he has lost it for good. They could get better in return than Marion.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Threadjack: Shawn Marion is the nicest basketball player I've met -- and I've met many of them in off-the-court media events.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

According to the ESPN trade machine, it is a success. Banks is making 3.6 mill, Marion is making like 16.4 mil and Shaq is making 20 mil.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm sure it works financially, otherwise the rumor wouldn't even be out there. I'm just wondering about the difference in years between Shaq and Marion, otherwise this deal makes little sense for the Suns.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

other trades that could work:

Sheed and Lindsey Hunter for Marion. Detroit sends cash.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Cool. Maybe the Suns can change uniforms to mark the occasion.

Desperation move, that would kill their style and make Steve Nash play like a plodder. Shaq can't run the floor anymore.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Has nobody in Phoenix seen Shaq play recently? He now runs like he's got a refrigerator strapped to his back. Phoenix would have to dramatically slow down its offense to try to make Shaq part of it, and doing that would neutralize much of what makes Nash special. Bad idea for Phoenix. Nothing to lose for Miami.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Why on earth would the Suns do this?

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Shaq did pretty well against the Spurs and Tim Duncan when he was with the Lakers. Maybe the Suns are hoping to catch some of that four-year-old fire.

Draft saved Draft deleted