1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Regional Sites... What's next?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator_Hawks, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

NEXT WAVE
    Miami
    Detroit
    Philadelphia
    Atlanta

THEN
    Phoenix
    Seattle
    Bay Area
    Indianapolis
    Pittsburgh
    Minneapolis
    Carolinas

2. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

ESPN owns radio stations in LA, NYC and Pittsburgh in addition to the markets that have already launched. I'd assume that they'd be the next three as a result.

3. PatrickCarney

PatrickCarney New Member

Source? Link?

Where did you hear this?

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Just guesses.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

The Carolinas would become a killer site for colleges and NASCAR. That would be fun.

6. This gives me the thought of a world where ESPN controls all sports media. That honestly frightens me.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This happened like 10 years ago.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I can see ESPN doing these regional sites along the lines of Fox Sports RSNs.

ESPNWisconsin.com is already established (although it's mainly a hub for the ESPN Milwaukee and ESPN Madison radio affiliates). However, they do have Jason Wilde as a writer/host now.

9. Um, newspapers existed then and still do today. So no, it didn't.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

No girls soccer?

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

A few months ago, I mentioned how I've stopped reading metro daily sites as much and starting turning to ESPN.com because I felt like their bloggers gave me what I needed.

I was mocked, but I continue to remain concerned that the Internet powers are going to take away readership from the daily beat writers.

12. ned racine

ned racine Member

it looks like they are only going into markets with ESPN owned or heavily branded radio stations.....that means no Detroit for now

Draft saved Draft deleted