1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN: Pioli to join Chiefs; Edwards likely out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HandsomeHarley, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is pretty damned amazing.

Says an awful lot about Martyball and Peterson.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

In Kansas City, they haven't had a legitimate top-flight quarterback since...since...since... Len Dawson. (No, Montana V. 93.0 and 94.0 does not count). Trent Green had a good year in 2003 and Bill Kenney (!) had a Marino-like stretch in 1983 but I'd say only the Lions and Bears have had such an undistinguished stretch of quarterbacking.

Thigpen may or may not be the answer. I liked his play this year but not sure if he has the 'it' quality in quarterbacking where you know it when you see it.

Get the QB first. Isn't this something we all learn in the NFL every season? The NFL has 12 good to HOF QBs right now. Get one of those twelve first or "grow your own". If you don't have the QB, you don't win the title. Who is left right now? McNabb, Warner, Big Ben and Flacco. Two HOF-level QBs, one who could be and a rookie who isn't making mistakes. The other QBs who played last weekend: E. Manning, Delhomme, Rivers and Kerry Collins. Two more legitimate QBs. Half of the "Top 12" were playing in the Divisional Round. If that doesn't tell you the value of quarterbacking in the NFL...

Even the most ripped Super Bowl champion QB of all time, Trent Dilfer, left his mark with the Ravens. When Baltimore booted him after the 2000 season, how many Super Bowls did they go to? How many times were they even close? They brought in Grbac but forgot he was slow and threw picks.

Get the QB first. Get the QB first.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I doubt Belichick will trade Cassel to KC...unless he thinks he's a product of The System.

And the Chiefs are so fucking horrible, there's no damage in going into next year with Thigpen and seeing if he can develop into The Real Thing. I know the Dolphins have redefined what is and is not possible for a one- or two-win team, and I'd love to see the Chiefs win 11 games and further prove what a fraud Herm is, but that team is 2-23 since the 4-3 start last year. They're a couple years away, at least, even in that shitty division.

If Thigpen isn't a keeper, I'm sure Pioli can find a way to trade up in the 2010 draft to get the guy he wants.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Maybe, but the Chiefs look so much like the 2007 Dolphins in that the Chiefs lost seven games by a touchdown or less, the 1-15 Dolphins had six such losses.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

What did Thigpen do wrong? Win one game. I liked Thigpen as much as any Chiefs fanboy looser, but the last two or three games, he was not good at all. I did like his ability to scramble, but he just wasn't very good late in the year and in the second half for that matter.

Of course, the Chiefs problems are deeper than Tyler Thigpen. But I don't see him as the answer as a long-time quarterback.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I agree with what you said except for Trent Green. He threw for at least 3,600 yards for five straight seasons, at least 17 for four and a positive TD-INT ratio for four. He was a great leader in that juggernaut offense.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just hope Pioli isn't stupid enough to be pursuing Kirk Ferentz, as he was rumored to be when he was in the mix for the Browns GM job.

Good hire, but he's got to get his coach.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'd actually back up Ferentz, if that's the choice.

I think he needs to go with a HC, not just a glitzy coordinator. Ferentz has a track record of running a solid program.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've never understood why so many NFL GMs are so high on Ferentz. The guy is a good/mediocre college coach with a NFL background.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Re: Thigpen

He was a 56 percent passer playing in the spread, where 60 should be the bare bones minimum. Watching the games, he telegraphed many (if not most) of his passes. Still, I like the guy and would like to see him get a chance at starting. I just think he needs legit competition via a high draft pick or free agent.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Patriots can't tie up $25 million with two players at quarterback, especially when they have to address so many needs on defense, not to mention re-sign players like Wilfork. The only way they can reasonably keep him is if Brady's knee isn't doing well, otherwise they ought to get picks back for him.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Green was a hell of a quarterback for the Chiefs. Of course, he had Priest to run (and block -- hear that, LJ?) and an awesome offensive line, but Green put up some numbers.

Draft saved Draft deleted