1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Philly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Apr 3, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There's no doubting ESPN's corporate success, and as success is an end in itself in our culture, it's golden.

ESPN is innovative in some ways and regressive in others. It sensed there was a market to be exploited of guys coming in from the bar jonesing for some kickin' highlights from the day/night in sports. They went where other sports media ethically didn't think it should ethically go and use those they covered as their pitchmen and women (in all fairness, it wouldn't have worked so well but for the outstanding writing its ad agencies have clearly done on those commercials). And ESPN was prescient in making itself the first go-to Web portal for sports at a glance.

ESPN, however, also took TV back to the 1950s as far as intertwining its sponsors so thoroughly with its content. And newspapers were talking about being more relevant to young people long before ESPN the Mag was developed; the Mag just happened to develop the formula a lot better. And the concept of putting athletes at the front of the product was done decades before by Wheaties.

And what great balancing of "values" takes place at ESPN? I'm straight-up interested.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Well done, sir! If it is not, that can only be because someone else has already registered the domain name...

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Philly gets a bullshit rap from people who really don't know crap about the city or its fans. It began with Howard Cosell's talking about the snowball incident with Santa Claus, which by the way was a prank between friends. People forget the fact that the drunken Santa was also throwing snow balls.
    Yet when fans of a certain team 100 miles north set fires during a nationally televised game or throw ice balls at players, seriously injuring a coach, they're regarded as having fun.
    There are many worse cities than Philly.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think they're interested in "top writers or columnists" I think they want people who can provide a ton of content and they aren't as interested in spending a ton of money (in most markets) to bring in a big name. A friend of mine who just got hired in a medium-sized market is making $60K, which was a slight bump from what he was making.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You've obviously never been to a Cowboy/Eagle night game in the City of the Slovenly F-Bomb.

Foulest NFL crowds I've ever experienced, under those conditions.

6. Mizzougrad96

Eagles fans are the craziest in the NFL by a thousand miles and that includes Oakland.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I was born and raised in Philly and went to Penn and Drexel for college and grad school. I know the city rather well.

Still, the line about an appropriate web address for ESPNPhilly was a very good one.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ben there as a scribe and a fan. Definitely felt safer there than in Giants tomb for a night game, or Cleveland for a day game or Oakland for any game.

9. Mizzougrad96

Oakland isn't as bad as they say. The neighborhood around the stadium is that bad, but the fans look worse than they actually are.

Philly's stadium is great. The fans are insane though.

Its interesting how much crazier Giants Stadium is when the Giants play compared to when the Jets do. I'd put the Giants second, Oakland third, and then probably Cleveland and maybe the Pats.

Denver would have made the top/bottom five when the Broncos were still at Mile High.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Raider fan is known for pissing in bottles and throwing them at you. Browns fan is known for starting shit and whipping it out.
    Bronco fan is just rabid and stupid.
    Giants fan can be a dick just like Jets fan and Pats fan.
    Philly fan will kick your ass but at least he'll buy you a drink after the beat down.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I didn't know you were from Cleveland.

12. Think your friend got robbed. I know firsthand they're paying some folks 100k-plus.

Draft saved Draft deleted