1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN overkill on veterans stuff?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, Nov 11, 2009.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I'm flipping through the channels, and Sports Center is doing a bunch of veterans stories, all sad things about people losing limbs, etc.
    ESPN First Take was at one of the military bases (can't remember which one), so that's a weird setup with Skip Bayless.
    And the whole thing is billed every couple of minutes as "America's Heroes..."

I don't have a problem, obviously, with thanking veterans for their service and their courage, but it seems like just overkill.

What you guys think?

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't really have a major opinion except to note that I was just thinking that it seemed like there was a lot more Veterans Day coverage all over the place, not just ESPN, this year than in years past.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What should they have on instead?

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

It just seems like overkill, like they are going out of their way to promote this and that. Like I said, I understand why they are doing it, but it seems like it's over the top.

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

I'm shocked -- shocked! -- that the WWL would go over the top on anything. I've always admired their restraint.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I too feel like there has been a lot of coverage this year. Maybe we don't remember it from last year because we were so consumed with Obama coverage.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Would you rather them do "Who's Now?" cause that can probably be arranged.

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I agree, haven't been on ESPN much today, but I'm tired of all the Wal-Mart-sponsored soundbites with every athlete under the sun saying "Thank you veterans, you're the bestest"

Let's honor our veterans by telling their stories, and all the special programs to help vets and their families are great, but do I really need Tom Brady and Dwayne Wade saying "Way to go troops!!!" It feels like the Thanksgiving Day football shoutouts.

9. bob

bob Member

Dwyane. Sorry.
    But I agree with you.

10. oooh oooh, <sarcasm font> <sarcasm font>

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hell, Fox had its pregame show in Afghanistan...

I'm thrilled about it. I'm glad they're honoring people who truly deserve it.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

ESPN overkill? Unpossible!

Draft saved Draft deleted