1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN ombud tees off ... again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jul 14, 2008.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

There once was a time -- probably while I was in college -- that I mythologized ESPN, hung on every word, never missed SportsCenter, etc. I've long since abandoned that mode of thinking, but every once in a while it's nice to be reminded why I abandoned it.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Per the issue about ESPN's Euro 2008 live play-by-play originating from this side of the pond...doesn't the Speed Channel's F1 coverage do the same thing with its commentators staying over here?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes. They announce the races from Charlotte.

It's quite common for overseas events. I don't think what ESPN and Speed do is a big deal, though I'd prefer they send the announcers to the event.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it's a big deal either. Just thought it was worth noting on the "ESPN is evil" thread.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Also, the objection was not that they did it, but rather that they kept saying, "here in Austria" and "here in Germany."

6. If she keeps it up, she'll probably he'll be the first to go in the next round of layoffs.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

My crush on Le Anne grows with each one of her columns.

Do you think her next one will deal with the "Titletown USA" bit ESPN has running? While it is not as mind-numbing as "Who's Now", it is certainly debate for the sake of debate.

And shocker! Erin Andrews did the spot for Gainesville, Fla.

8. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

Wrong. His answer should have been, "He should not have done it."

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Obviously, many great points.

Creation of a written guide on the bounds of commentary? Not so happy with that notion ...

It's a judgment thing, and if you don't have the judgment, intepreting the parameters of what's in bounds and out from a book isn't going to help.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's the gold standard. How often does it jibe with reality, especially in the online world?

11. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

lip service. like the investigation that cracked the OJ Mayo fraud.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

True. But that might have momentarily disturbed Stewy's mental machinations.

Can't have that, given such precious talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted