1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN "Office Space" Lynn Hoppes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Apr 7, 2011.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Mocking Fluff Daddy has its moments, but some topics and people just aren't worth threads. He might lead that list. He's more overrated than Harold Miner. I spent 10 years at 2 Florida papers better than his and wasn't impressed then. Haven't looked at Page 2 since he arrived and would be absolutely shocked if I missed anything worthwhile. ESPN must be a helluva place to work. So much good and so much ... this.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Watching that, the look on my face was probably only slightly less disgusted than when I watched "Two Girls, One Cup."

I have so much respect for the job Hoppes did in Orlando. I am so embarrassed for him after watching that.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Finally got around to watching the video. Tim Lincecum has really put on some weight ...

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I ever had to do this with my "office space" it would have been pretty boring.

"These are media guides. These are notebooks. These are empty bottles of Diet Mountain Dew."

5. Gator_Hawks

Gator_Hawks Member

Agreed.

My friend Michael Jordan agrees with me too. When I was hanging with Tiger Woods last week he felt the same way. I'll ask LeBron next week about this too.

#StopNameDroppingLynn

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Lynn, we're appreciate any comment on why you did this/why you think you were ok in doing this.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can imagine an intervention with the office filled with B list celebrities taking their crap back if he won't stop name dropping. Now THAT would be a good video.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I might be a douche and/or a tool, but any grown man who is in a profession other than rock music shouldn't have a haircut like Hoppes'.

Also, if you're trying to act hip, you ain't.

9. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Mizzou, did you read Orlando daily or just occasionally, at contests? My gripe with them (1996-2006) was they didn't own anything other than the Magic. They parachuted in and wrote the big stuff well, but day to day it was difficult to determine their focus. It was all over the place. Sometimes local, sometimes state, sometimes national without any logical connection. And they live for contests. Nothing wrong with that. Their 4 splashy Sunday designs and gimmick, err, themed football special section play well to judges, but daily readers see through the fluff. I think Tim has changed that a bit, but I don't see the paper every day like I used to.

10. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

With the exception of job posts and one random JTO thread, he hasn't posted here since January 2010. Good luck.

And I'll avoid mentioning any of the myriad stories I've heard about his days in Orlando, any one of which may make Mizzougrad respect Hoppes even less. I'm sure many others have heard them, too.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"Hey, didn't you used to be Lynn Hoppes?"

Nice pieces of flair, though.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The haircut was a gift from Lincecum ...

Draft saved Draft deleted