1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN not immune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 27, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

His latest on the long-suffering Nuggets fans wasn't terrible, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for Denver fans after two Super Bowls and a couple of Stanley Cups in the last 15 years.
    And how do you write about the Nuggets history and not mention David Thompson?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Have him do basketball full time. It's the only sport he truly cares about. :)

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sorry, ain't NOBODY on the planet worth that kind of money. Not Obama. Not Alex Rodriguez. Not David Beckham. Not Al Gore. Not Bernard Madoff. Certainly no reporter or writer. Ridiculous.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The craziest thing about the deal is that it wasn't like ESPN was in some big bidding war. If ESPN only offered 5 years at $10 million, was someone going to offer more?

5. Kobe Doin' Work = brutal. I wonder where it ranks among Spike Lee joints such as "Malcolm X" and "Jungle Fever.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's like any other sport . . . it is, if it's quality, and you understand it.

Carry on.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Maybe they got rid of all those people who were moving when Berman was trying to do his show, which caused him to throw that big fit on youtube.

8. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I think -- not positive, but I think -- SI offered him a million a year. According to his farewell column, "he had an itch he needed to scratch" or something, which is why he left for ESPN. Part of me thinks that itch was television stuff.

Part of me thinks it was something on his ass which could only be scratched by $100 bills.

9. It sure beats trying to do it with dimes.

10. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) — ESPN has notified about 100 Connecticut employees that they will be losing their jobs.
    The layoffs are part of a plan announced by ESPN Chief Executive George Bodenheimer in January, when he told employees the sports television giant would be reviewing its entire operation and also would leave about 200 vacant jobs unfilled.
    Company spokesman Josh Krulewitz says ESPN plans to replace the jobs that have been cut with others that “more effectively grow our company, and our head count number, ultimately, will remain consistent with current levels.”
    ESPN, a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Co., employs about 5,400 people worldwide, including about 3,400 at its Bristol, Conn. campus.

11. NBAonNBC

NBAonNBC Member

Anyone know where these cuts are coming from?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not arguing with you, but I wonder: Is there any writer of note of whom it could be said, "I really hated his stuff years ago, but boy he really has hit his stride now. One home run after another." ?

Heck, we have even had threads on how the 256-page SI swimsuit edition "just doesn't do it for me" . . . but the 8-page spreads from 1977 somehow did (mainly because a bunch of then-14-year-olds were drooling over Tiegs in a fishnet).

Draft saved Draft deleted