1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN not immune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 27, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

Word has come down the totem pole here in Bristol that 60 people have lost/will lose their jobs today. Mostly TV-side production folks.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I know some peeps up there -- and hope they emerge untouched. A tough time all around ...

RB

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Moddy, you wrote an incomplete sentence.

It should have read "ESPN not immune from exploiting economy in order to save money."

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What do you figure, Rick Reilly's salary would save three dozen of those jobs? I know. He's under contract and I'm not even trying to say he should fall on the sword. Just underscores the dumb-ass corporate decisions they've been making lately; if "Kobe Doin' Work" is any indication, that new upgraded movie studio is going to prove a similarly worthless drag on the bottom line.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Just a question -- I have no idea. Isn't the "TV-side" the part that, well, brings in most of the money?

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Probably, Frank, but that doesn't preclude their being bloated on that side....I'm not saying they are, I'm just saying it doesn't preclude it.

7. Anyone seen Tom Jackson lately?

Just sayin'

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd bag the fake football and baseball fields and animation departments.

9. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I hate to say it because, like a lot of us on these boards, I grew up an avid Reilly reader, but he's just not worth $2 mil a year. I think that's what he's getting paid. His stuff is just lackluster lately. His latest column about the boringness of baseball just did me in as far as being a Reilly fan. I like his old stuff, but he's just....I don't know, something's gone missing with him. I wonder what happened.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I wonder if they should just let him cover golf, every week until the season is over (it's not, right?), and see if that brings back some of his mojo.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I saw the headline for his last column, figured it would just piss me off and passed.

Horse racing isn't exactly the most exciting crap on Earth, either, Rick.

12. I think it was more than $3 million if I remember right ... something like five years, $17 million.

Draft saved Draft deleted