1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN loses a...well, a terrible one.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 31, 2012.

1. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I would suspect that KLOS gets the axe - Mark is retiring from Mark & Brian, so that's really going to hurt them in the mornings. Plus, having on-air talent like KLOS does costs a ton more than the DJ-free, computer programmed format that Jack-FM has.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Which one makes the most money? Or do they buy a station from someone else?

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

It's possible that they buy another station - there's been talk for some time that the LA market is over saturated with Spanish-language stations and that at least one might be going to English language at some point. I would still suspect that JACK would stay around just because it's so cheap to produce that it's almost pure profit (even if the numbers aren't as great as some other local stations).

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

But the LA market also is saturated with sports talk. I live in the IE, and get KLAC (Rome and FSR), KSPN (local/ESPN), KLAA (shitty local/ESPN); XPRS 1090 (San Diego local/ESPN); 1360 San Diego (don't know call letters or programming outside of Rome and some local) and 1600 SD (another ESPN).

Is there a need for another?

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I think I might be in the minority on this too, but I thought Kornheiser's show was tremendous radio. Some didn't like that they talked about topics other than sports, and others just don't like Kornheiser, but I think he's smart and funny. I love PTI, but I can only watch if it is him and Wilbon. That's the only combo that provides thought-provoking and entertaining conversation.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To his credit, Cowherd will take the occasional phone call. Solo hosts who can take calls and have a dialogue can make good radio. A lot of local guys I used to listen to were like that.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I find Cowherd practically unlistenable. He manages to annoyingly simultaneously contrarian and establishmentarian.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't have time to look this up but I think ABC/ESPN sold almost all their stations. I know they sold WJLA in Washington along with a lot of stations.

And I agree that CBS can muscle their way into the overnight market but I don't see Gottlieb working at 3-6. While I like Gottlieb in studio I think a drive time talk show centered around college basketball doesn't work. I know Gottlieb will try to discuss other things but when I listen to him on ESPN (rarely) he is a lot less effective when discussing other sports. College basketball is to far behind football most places in popularity to serve as a drive time anchor.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Just saw that Darren Rovell is "returning" to ESPN: http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/08/darren-rovell-returns-to-espn/

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Proving that there is a very real pompous-douchebag quota that must be met at all times for Bristol to operate.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wonder who replaced me in that quota.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Couldn't. That's why your keyboard is hanging from the rafters.

Draft saved Draft deleted