1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN hiring NFL beat writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MiselisM, Jul 25, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't imagine any paper is going to be caught totally unaware and need to hire somebody. I'm sure the ones who think there's any chance of their person leaving has been devoting a steady stream of work to the current backup.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

He's been back in Tampa for at least four years.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Except when it's the backup who has left ...

4. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Curious to hear who will get the Lions. Some great candidates in town, both already covering the Lions or people with name recognition in town who could jump across to the NFL with no problem.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

LongTimeListener: You're assuming that sports editors have time to think these days.

6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Excited to see what Rodak does with the Bills beat, I really enjoyed his work on the Patriots blog on ESPNBoston.

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Nick Wagoner is leaving his position as the senior writer for the St. Louis Rams to be the new Rams beat reporter for ESPN. Nick was a Rams employee for nine years.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I added Nick Wagoner. Can anyone confirm that the division bloggers are taking over their home beats?

If so, that means:

Vikings: Kevin Seifert
    Buccaneers: Pat Yasinskas
    Seahawks: Mike Sando
    Dolphins: James Walker
    Ravens: Jamison Hensley
    Titans: Paul Kuharsky
    Raiders: Matt Williamson

Does that sound right? I have no idea what they'd do with Dan Graziano, though he also was (I think) the only of these division bloggers not hired directly off a traditional NFL beat. He'd make a lot of sense as a new addition to the ESPN New York team.

9. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Just hope they can avoid this daily ESPN trap:
    Headline: "Teammate X rips Teammate Y"
    Story: Teammate X actually said Teammate Y threw a couple of interceptions but he'll be fine.
    Technique is an ESPN staple, likely SEO driven, and is another reason I avoid ESPN unless I know there's news.

10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Just heard that David Newton is transferring over from the NASCAR side of ESPN to do the Carolina Panthers ...

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

NASCAR was a sinking ship there without the new TV deal, so smart move.

12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

My thoughts exactly, PT ... I'm just wondering who else in ESPN's NASCAR/auto racing stable of writers will 1. find something else to do before the TV deal runs out, and 2. of those that do stick it out, who will survive the inevitable cuts?

Draft saved Draft deleted