1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN GamePlan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Crimson Tide, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

So, I wanted to buy the Hawaii-Bama pay per view, but saw on the listing that it's $129! I figure that's the price to buy the whole channel. Question is, do I have to buy the whole channel or can I just buy the one game? Needless to say, I'm not blowing $129 on one game.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you live inside of Alabama, you can't order it through Gameplan anyway. Assuming you are outside of the state, $129 is probably the cost of the season subscription. Check with your cable company, there should be an option to buy that day's package of games only at a more reasonable rate.

Failing that, find a good sports bar.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Here in Louisville, the cost is typically the same as a PPV movie, generally $4-5.

At least that's what the preview screen says. I've never purchased an ESPN game.

4. dixiehack

Hawaii will be a more entertaining game than I'd like it to be. The others are trash matchups, where tickets scalpers will be charging less to see it in person. But when you're jonesing for a fix, you do what you must.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If the game is not being shown on any broadcast or cable network in dixiehack's zip code, then he should be allowed to view the game on GamePlan.

If it's DirecTV, they offer single-day buys for about $15. Gives you access to all GamePlan games for that one day. If you order online you avoid an additional $5 phone order fee.

6. dixiehack

Within the state, you have to order it through CTSM. You can order the Gameplan package, but it will be blacked out.

Happily, it's not my problem. I've already got tickets for Saturday.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

If you live in Alabama (or Hawaii, for that matter) the game will be blacked out on ESPN GamePlan.
    Having lived in Alabama in the past, the price for PPV games like this one is $29.99.
    If you live outside of Alabama, as someone said, you can buy GamePlan by the day, or spend the $129. Of course, there will probably be more than one Alabama PPV on there this season, which makes it more worth your money.
    I personally love GamePlan as a Midwesterner living in the South - gives me all the games I want, and as an early bird buyer, I locked it up for $109 this year.
    Of course, it does help having a football-crazy wife like mine when you go to explain THAT charge on the satellite bill. ;)

8. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Well, I'm in bumfuck Idaho and have Cable One. I was told that I have to buy the entire package, even for one lousy game.

9. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I buy the GamePlan package every year and have always enjoyed it.

10. dixiehack

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

How does Gameplan work? I'd like to get the WVU-Marshall game this weekend, I have DirecTV, it's on Gameplan, and all I can find is a $129 package. And as much as I want to see that game (it's out of state), I'm not paying $129 for it.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

In the past, it's worked very much like buying a PPV movie. At least, on Directv......

First, find the correct channel (multiple places to find this info., such as the Gameplan website, Directv Gameplan info channel). If you're like me, you've left these channels off of your favorites and they won't show up on your screen guide.

Then, just select the channel, go through the order process, just like a PPV movie. This would then unlock ALL the gameplan channels for that particular week.

Of course...this was in previous seasons. May be different in 06.

Draft saved Draft deleted