1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN: Favre won't apply for reinstatement yet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by King Of All Media, Jul 16, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

So he actually already had a chance to come back after he retired and turned it down? He absolutely is getting what he deserves.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Usually the cap hit comes from the signing bonus, which can be spread out over the life of the contract, but the remaining cash goes on the cap the year the player is released.

They don't have to force him to retire. Make him show up for camp and compete, especially if they really do believe the Vikings were tampering.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, if you ask to come back and change your mind two days later, I think the team has a right to move on.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No doubt. And I'm sure the Packers are working on that. Of course, you can't trade someone who's not in the league, so Favre will need to apply for reinstatement at some point if the Packers are to trade him anywhere.

One thing's for sure, he cannot return to Green Bay. You let Favre back in, you would see a split between the young and old players between Favre and Rodgers camps. You always hear about how teams love to gel, come together, etc. during training camp. Favre would eliminate any chance of that. Had Favre decided to return in late March/early April when he had the chance, that wouldn't be the case, he would've still been the starter, no questions asked.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the interview over the last few days burned all bridges.

My god did he come across like a colossal douche.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

This is why I like Claws. :D

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A paper near me, I'd told, spelled it F-a-r-v-e in pretty big type today. It is not on their Web site. No, it is not my former paper.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

10. corey375

corey375 New Member

Here's what I don't get: The Packers don't have to do anything until Favre officially applies for reinstatement, but Favre's agent was quoted on ESPN as saying something to the effect that "the ball's in the Packers' court."

What am I missing?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You're applying logic to the situation. That's a problem right there.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Watch it Cheeseboy. It's your team and your retired quarterback looking like fools. They're just trying to fling mud across the border.

Draft saved Draft deleted