1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN drops ill-advised ad campaign

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Nov 14, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't know, I think this one had some potential (click link for a full accounting).

http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/2008-11-13-espn-ad-campaign-killed_N.htm

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Could it be any worse than the one where the Tennessee fan was carrying a pig?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Q: How do you get a Marquette graduate off your porch?

A: Pay him for the pizza.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vince Doria defended the ad....

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

How do you know a toothbrush was invented in Kansas?

Because if it was invented anywhere else, it'd have been called a teethbrush. :)

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Unreal ... someone needs to lose his job.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Ha. They spelled it PERDUE in the memo section.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the spot had some potential, not for a commercial, but for an SportsJournalists.com thread.
    Texas: Dude with blonde highlights, baseball cap backward, puka necklace and two polo shirts on.
    Arizona: Overly-tanned female with overly-blond hair and overly-whitened teeth.
    Indiana: A whimpy-guy who thinks he's tough, talks a lot about the "old" days. Routes call center calls through his cell phone.
    Florida: Doesn't know anything about basketball, spends most of his time talking about the awesomeness of Tim Tebow.
    Kentucky: When not on the call-center phones talking up UK basketball or the anti-Christ that is Rick Pitino, gets into heated argument with Temple guy about students who "obviously" only got into college because of affirmative-action.
    Mid-Major guy: He's the guy who is the second "E" of the body-painting crew who spell out "Sportscenter" - he's seen after the big win over Iowa storming the court jumping into the camera range and surprised the chicks don't flock to him.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Of course, according to that memo, Gonzaga is the only college basketball team out West. I wanted the stereotypes for UCLA, dammit!

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Big, blonde and dumb.

That about do it?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you're going to be tasteless and dumb at least be funny, ESPN!

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That horse sailed a long time ago. ::) ::)

Maybe they had specific casting in mind:

[​IMG]

Incidentally, there's about half-a-dozen other spelling errors scattered through the memo. ::) ::)

How do you get jobs in advertising?? I mean, is it easy for idiots to get jobs?

Draft saved Draft deleted