1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN cross-promoting themselves?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Illino

Illino Member

This just came through my Google Reader. Is there much here, or is this is columnist making broad generalizations? It does sound a little fishy to me.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/04/29/2011-04-29_hard_to_read_espn_on_jeter_book.html?r=sports%2Fbaseball%2Fyankees&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fsports%2Fbaseball%2Fyankees+%28Sports%2FBaseball%2FYankees%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

2. writingump

writingump Member

Maybe so, although ESPN is the king of cross-promotion, especially as it relates to the Yankees -- its favorite team in any sport.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wake me up when ESPN doesn't promote the heck out of something its involved in. Better yet, wake me when they promote something they don't have a vested interest in.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How benevolent of Ian, always thinking of the fans:

." O'Connor said his intent was to "humanize" Jeter. "That was my goal," he said. "To bring the fan closer to Jeter. Though he's a beloved icon, I think fans look at him as a distant figure."

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He should have been honest...

"My goal... was to make money off of Jeter's celebrity."

6. Boom_70

I for one would have felt better about the book.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that cricket was suddenly all over ESPN.com's front page a few weeks back. I'm sure it had nothing to do with them televising it.

ESPN and cross-promotion? Say it ain't so!

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Bears shitting in the woods?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's a Houghton-Mifflin book.

10. Mediator

Mediator Member

Conspiracy theories aside, Ian O'Connor did a lot of the reporting for this book in 2009, when he was a columnist at the Bergen Record.

11. Boom_70

When someone does a book for a publisher not affiliated with the writers employer, how are research expenses for book handled?

Presumably O'Conner was on Record payroll when work was done. Was he on their nickle to write the book?

If so does he have to reimburse them?

12. Mediator

Mediator Member

O'Connor has written a number of books while working for the Daily News, Gannett, the Bergen Record and now ESPN. Every situation is different, but you have to approach your paper and get permission to write the book. I think the idea is that you do your columns first, and then you are able to get additional reporting for your project using your paper's credential. There is an inherent tension there, but it's the same when reporters and columnists everywhere write a book.

Draft saved Draft deleted