1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com, coming to a metro near you...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Last one out of Record Street, please turn out the lights.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Durrett and McMahon were 2 of the DMN's most prolific bloggers, which apparently is a reason ESPN Dallas decided to lure 'em. However, as with other ESPN hires of this type they're (well-paid) contract laborers with no benefits. Welcome to the slave ship, boys. Row well, and live.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Even after benefits, I'm willing to bet they're making more than most in this business. Plus, they don't have to relocate.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Vigoda also hired Calvin Watkins, who left his position as DMN Cowboys writer in the spring to cover the NFL for AOL Fanhouse.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, Durrett and MacMahon are the only two former Denton farmhands ever to make it to the show in sports. They know a sweatshop when they see one.

6. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

I think Calvin was awesome _ The only one at the DMN besides Rick Gosselin worth reading since 2006...If this ESPNDallas really has Calvin, I'm a regular starting Monday...

7. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I guess you're a regular then.

8. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Calvin provided the DMN with a lot of access avenues on beats other than his own, and never got the credit he was owed; that went to the cabin-cruisers who held the compromising pix, or whatever, of the untouchable fat cats. But a lot of people knew that Calvin was a humble hard worker. If Vigoda recognized that, he gets my vote as a top talent judge. The DMN used to wallow in talent, and now I wouldn't want it on my yard or doorstep unless I had a radioactive suit to remove it, or a pair of very long bar-b-que tongs.

Anyway, back to Calvin _ Access is the gold standard, and Calvin got sources and contacts to deliver for other writers who then went on to score with takeouts such as UT football reminiscenses in big years for the Longhorns. Calvin's byline was on perhaps just a fraction of stories that he actually engineered, from boxing to track and on and on. He is a reporter after my own heart.

And Richard D. could adapt to situations with aplomb. A couple of scores for Vigoda, who, incidentally, had personality and wit to burn, probably making him a bad fit for The Snooze.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Has ESPN.com made these Dallas-like hires in other new markets? I haven't heard that much...

10. apseloser

apseloser Member

What I don't get is why ANY Chicago sports fan would go to ESPN Chicago over the Trib or even the Sun-Times, other than the brand having more national cache.

Check out the sites. The content — quality and quantity — isn't even close. ESPN has a bunch of wire gamers and nothing special or at all original on the team pages. The Trib and Sun-Times both blow it away, yet I read ESPN somehow has more uniques a month. Just baffling.

And I love how the so-called WWL spends so much time during yesterday's games telling people to go to ESPN Dallas for the best coverage of Dallas-Ft. Worth sports. Click on it. All you see is a "Coming soon." That's a turnoff. I hope fellow users see that and vow never to go back.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It launches Monday.

12. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Anyone for ESPNPodunk? I'm in!

Draft saved Draft deleted