1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com analysis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Breakdown of today's Celtics-Heat game below. Count the cliches in a mere handful of paragraphs.

It's about mental toughness and intestinal fortitude.

It's about confidence and respect.

It's about demons and monsters.

“And we've got to slay that demon, so to speak,” said Heat swingman Mike Miller, who missed a wide-open 3-pointer that could have sent the previous meeting with Boston into overtime at the Garden.

Instead, Miller's bad miss sent the Heat to yet another demoralizing setback against their biggest demons in the league.

2. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

The NBA's regular season in April is a cliche in itself.

I do like the last couple of days of the season, though, when teams activate the fourth-string scrubs for some action. We used to call it Mikki Moore week.

3. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

Another cliche: breakdown.

4. I used to like the word until Tom Petty started singing it all the time.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We spend more time talking about what MIGHT happen in sports these days that what DID happen. I wonder why that is?

6. Maybe because our imaginations aren't rigged like all professional sports, up to and including the NBA, the NHL, the NFL and the WWE.

Believe it or not, MLB isn't rigged but is run by reptilians, so that counts for something.

7. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

That's one of my favorite 2 a.m. songs. Unless I'm in the car and concerned about its condition.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Is any of this really surprising? Par for the course for ESPN.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Or par for the court.

10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Agreed. And they refer to themselves as "experts."

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Engrossing dispatch or word dump?

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

That Miller used "demons" in a quote is fine. But did you need to use the exact same word in the grafs immediately before and after that? Is there a thesaurus in Bristol?

Draft saved Draft deleted