1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN buys stake, gains TV rights to AFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tommyp, Dec 19, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I wish they would have bought the rights to old AFL telecasts to show on ESPN Classic instead of the drek they have on there now.

(That's Cookie Gilchrist, one of the AFL's greatest stars)

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Rush are who we thought they were

3. Simon

Simon Active Member

This puts Arena Football over the NHL.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i don't understand why you're bothered. it's not like a newspaper has owned a sports team before. oh, wait...

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Is it any worse than the New York Times company (and owner of the Boston Globe) owning a piece of the Red Sox? Or the Denver Newspaper Agency (which operates the JOA of the Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News) owning a piece of the Rockies? Etc.

6. tommyp

tommyp Member

I think in this respect, yes. Whereas we are not bashed over the head with coverage on the Red Sox by the Times (though they do cover a bit more of the Sox than any other NY newspaper), ESPN will promote, promote, and overpromote some more, and try to get it through our thick skulls to watch the games.

I am curious to see what type of 'entertainment' hook they'll try in an attempt to lure viewers.

7. tommyp

tommyp Member

Wanna merge?

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Anytime ESPN can show a sport, it's good news. Would you rather they continue beating the WSOP to death?

With 26 games being shown on ESPN or ESPN2, that means approximately 80 less hours of WSOP-related programming will be aired.

Now, I just wish ESPN fights to get hockey back -- or at least give it more than just a couple minutes on the late Sportscenters. Sid the Kid, Malkin and Ovechkin are unfairly wallowing in obscurity in cable's digital tier.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Fuck arena football in any form. That is all. [/Zeke12]

And fuck ESPN for not covering the NHL properly.

10. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

This just in...

It's 4:21 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 19, 2006 and the Columbus Destroyers STILL suck.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's been said, but I'll repeat ...

Still no hockey.

They'll show Arena football. They'll show cocksucking "professional" paintball, for crying out loud. They'll show motherfucking poker, over and over.

But they won't show hockey.

What a disgrace.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Of course they don't show hockey. Disney doesn't own the Ducks anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted