1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN BottomLine

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Noel_Nash, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Noel_Nash

Noel_Nash New Member

Hi everyone ... One of the more challenging and fascinating journalism positions is coming open at ESPN: Associate Manager for the BottomLine. This is a content-focused position that works with Studio and Digital editorial leaders to deliver news across our BL platforms in the U.S. and all over the world. The job will be posted soon, but if you have any questions in advance, please don't hesitate to send me a message and we can discuss further.

2. SP7988

SP7988 Member

What type of experience is needed for this position?

3. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

This is part of the ESPN Stats Info group - you've probably seen them on Twitter. I worked in the department recently if you have any questions on culture and the like.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Do you have LeBron saved on Alt-V?

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

When is ESPN "The Ocho" debuting? :D

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

OK, enough of the snark. Noel was kind enough to post the job here before it officially went up. It's low-hanging fruit to knock around ESPN. Do it on other threads. Keep this about the job, please. We thank you.

7. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

Noel is the best, by the way. One of my all-time favorites.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I wonder if the person in this job actually avoids stats even thought the position is in the stats/information group.

9. Noel_Nash

Noel_Nash New Member

Hi there ... I can assure you they don't - and can't - avoid stats. There is a process each night when games are "put to bed" once everything is final. Reminds me of the old "Sports Final" edition we used to put out at The Palm Beach Post. Anyway, the BottomLine Editors are looking at the best research notes and story-driven stats from across the Stats & Information Group, trying to add value to the "commodity" of scores. There's plenty of review and discussion about whether we achieved it or how we can do it better next time. But stats - and the story lines that emerge from them - are definitely a part of everything we do in Stats & Information. We aren't just using that on the BottomLine, we're in studio and event show meetings pitching ideas to producers and on-air analysts, and we work closely with the espn.com senior editors and their writers.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is there any way to influence the Bristolian powers that be to tell the graphics punks to slow down on their SportsCenter graphic'ry? Like when an NBA shooter is killing it from range and the ball out of his hands turns into a firebomb that explodes in the rim? I'm all for fun but they're going a little too cuckoo with the graphics.

11. Noel_Nash

Noel_Nash New Member

The job has been posted on the ESPN careers site.

http://espncareers.com/

12. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

Very curious to know the pay range for this position. Any insight?

Draft saved Draft deleted